Last updated on January 31st, 2023
New York Crumb Coffee cake is a tender, buttery cake topped with a thick layer of crumbs and drizzled with a powdered sugar glaze! A perfect “dessert” to your brunch!
I totally judge coffee cakes by how thick the layer of moist crumbs is. In my opinion, the thickness of the crumb layer should be pretty equal to the layer of the cake layer.
I’ve seen some coffee cakes where the crumb topping almost seemed like an afterthought. That will never be the case with me, though! I live for the crumb and lay it on thick and enjoy every bite!
New York Style Crumb Coffee Cake
There are actually 3 parts to this recipe:
- the actual cake
- the crumb layer
- the powdered sugar glaze
How to Make Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- softened butter
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- sour cream
You will need to use a stand mixer for this part of the recipe. The first step is to combine the butter and sugars and beat them in the mixer until VERY light and fluffy. This will probably take longer than you expect. I usually let my mixer run for about 6 minutes or so at this step.
Then stir in the vanilla extract. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl if you need to.
Next, you’ll add your eggs but only add them one at a time. I beat for about a minute after adding each egg. Scrape the sides of the bowl and really whip that batter up good. You want a nice, fluffy cake so this step is important.
In a separate bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder, and salt.
In still yet another small bowl, stir together your sour cream and milk.
Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low speed just until combined.
Then add about 1/3 of the milk mixture and slowly blend.
Continue alternating in this fashion. Scrape down the sides of your bowl and then mix one last time on low speed.
Spread your batter into a greased 13×9 cake pan and then set aside.
Crumb Streusel Topping
- Brown Sugar
- Butter, melted
In a medium bowl, add flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon and stir until really well combined. Then add melted butter and mix with a fork until large crumbs form.
Sprinkle large crumbs all over the top of the batter. Sometimes I even use my fingers to form larger crumbs.
Then bake at 350 degrees for about 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be sure to cool the cake completely before drizzling it with a powdered sugar glaze.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Powdered Sugar
Combine both ingredients in a small bowl and then drizzle over the cool cake using a spoon.
More Brunch Recipes:
- Sausage Cream Cheese Crescent Roll Braid
- Blueberry Upside Down Bread
- Ham and Egg Casserole
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuits
- Raspberry Peach Coffee Cake
Looking for more breakfast recipes
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and there are plenty of delicious recipes to choose from. From quick and easy breakfast items to hearty and filling meals, these recipes will have you up and out the door in no time.
- Potato and Spinach Frittata
- Praline Pecan French Toast Casserole
- Banana Oatmeal Bread
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- Cranberry Almond Baked Oatmeal
- Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Monkey Bread with Refrigerated Biscuits
New York Crumb Coffee Cake
- 1 cup Butter melted
- 2.5 cups Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and both sugars. Beat until very well combined and light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Beat for about one minute after each egg and scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another small bowl, stir sour cream and milk together.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low just until combined.
- Then add about 1/3 of the milk mixture and stir until combined.
- Continue alternating until all cake ingredients are combined. Spread batter into prepared pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
- Add melted butter and continue stirring until coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle crumbs over cake batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Mix powdered sugar and milk in a bowl until drizzling consistency. You can add more powdered sugar if you like it thinner or more milk to thin it out.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
In conclusion, this delicious cake with crumble topping and brown sugar glaze is a family favorite, a great recipe and anyone would love to taste it. It’s moist and fluffy and tastes just like a delicious and perfect crumb cake, but without all the work of making a traditional one.
If you’re on the East Coast and looking for a new coffee cake recipe this winter, give this one a try for family gatherings!
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!