This Blueberry Upside Down Quick Bread Recipe is perfect for brunch or dessert! With a powdered sugar glaze and lemon cornmeal base, it’s an easy recipe that looks like you spent hours making it!
I am a huge fan of cornmeal. It is an absolutely staple in our house because it can be used for so many different things!
I coat fish in it before baking, I use it to make cornbread muffins, as the topping for casseroles, for corn fritters and so much more! And, yes, you can bake with it too! It really is such a versatile ingredient and can be used for everything from a sweet dessert to a savory dinner! Love me some cornmeal!
And because I have a giant sweet tooth, this recipe for a blueberry upside down bread is one of my favorite ways to use it.
Blueberry Upside Down Quick Bread Recipe
To make this blueberry quick bread, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Then line a loaf pan with parchment paper. You could also spray it with a non-stick spray, but I prefer parchment paper just to be on the safe side.
In a small, microwaveable-safe bowl, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add 1/3 cup brown sugar to the melted butter and stir to combine. Pour into the bottom of the prepared pan and then place blueberries on top of brown sugar mixture.
To make the bread batter, find a small bowl to mix your dry ingredients. So you will mix the cornmeal, flour and baking powder and then set that bowl aside.
In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. I usually beat it for at least 2-3 minutes, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl often so it’s all incorporated. Then add your eggs one at a time. Be sure that each egg is blended in well before you add the next egg.
Turn your blender down to low so you don’t have any splatters when you add the wet ingredients. Then add the lemon zest, lemon juice and milk and cream it together until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low just until it is combined.
Carefully spread the bread batter over the blueberries and smooth the top as best you can. Then bake for about 35-40 minutes until it tests done. To test done, I just insert a toothpick in the center of the bread and if it comes out clean your bread is done!
I just adore that golden color that the cornmeal gives the bread! Perfect for a lemon bread!
Let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Once it’s completely cool, you can make a quick powdered sugar glaze to drizzle over it.
For a powdered sugar glaze, I usually start with about 3/4 cup powdered sugar. I don’t really measure this, though, because you’re really just going for consistency more than anything. Add a couple teaspoons of lemon juice to the powdered sugar and stir to combine. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice at a time until you get the drizzling consistency that you want for your bread.
Blueberry Upside Down Quick Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a bread pan by either spraying with non-stick cooking spray or lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add brown sugar and stir to mix well. Pour into bottom of bread pan and spread so it coats the bottom. Add blueberries on top of butter mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. On low, add in the lemon zest, lemon juice and milk. Mix until well-combined.
- Add in the dry mixture and beat until just combined. Pour into the bread pan over the blueberries and smooth out the top.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center tests done. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, mix 2 teaspoons lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. You can additional lemon juice, one teaspoon at a time, until it is the right consistency to drizzle over the bread.