Published: 02/06/2019 | Updated: 02/07/2024
A delicious low-carb treat, this coconut shrimp recipe is less than 5 ingredients! It makes a great keto appetizer or serve it as a dinner over a salad.
And you totally need to pigeon-hole these as an appetizer-only recipe either. This is great as a low-carb dinner option too! You could even serve it over a salad for an even more filling meal.
How to Make Keto Coconut Shrimp in the Air Fryer
You’ll need 3 small dishes to divide your ingredients between. In one shallow bowl, pour about 1/4 cup of coconut flour. In a separate shallow bowl, crack your eggs and whisk with a fork until frothy. In the 3rd dish, place the shredded coconut.
Set up a little assembly line going in order from the bottom left around to the top right.
Make sure your shrimps are peeled and deveined. Then, dip each shrimp in coconut flour.
Next, dip in beaten eggs. Be sure to let the excess egg drip off into the bowl before moving onto the coconut.
To dip in the coconut, I lay the egg down in the bowl and then use a spoon or your fingers to cover the entire shrimp in coconut. Press it on firmly and then place coated shrimp in your air fryer basket.
I cooked them exactly as you see in the above picture. I didn’t spray them with a cooking spray, but you can spray them lightly if you want them extra golden.
I also made sure to leave them in a single layer rather than stacking them.
Set your air fryer to 400 degrees and cook for 6-8 minutes. I stopped them halfway through to flip them. Just keep an eye on them so they don’t cook too long.
Serve immediately with your favorite coconut shrimp dipping sauce! I just used cocktail sauce since that’s what I had on hand. If you have a little more time, this Low Carb Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce from I Breathe, I’m Hungry is delicious!
Coconut flour: You can easily use almond flour as another low-carb flour option. If you aren’t worried about carbs, feel free to use all-purpose flour instead.
Eggs: I used 2 whole eggs because I’m not a fan of food waste and had nothing else to do with the yolks. If you aren’t like me, though, using just egg whites actually works a little better. You won’t have as much of the “goopy” stuff to let drip off before you transfer to the coconut bowl. Just use 2 egg whites and whip them with a fork.
Shrimp: I would use either large or x-large shrimp. Anything smaller is a little bit harder to manage with all of the dipping stations. I highly suggest using raw fresh shrimp rather than cooked shrimp since it needs to be cooked for a certain amount of time to crisp up the coconut. If you use cooked shrimps, it would end up too chewy.
Air Fryer: If you don’t have an air fryer, that’s no reason to shy away from this recipe! You can bake them in the oven and still have a healthy party appetizer! Just place the coated shrimps on a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 425 for about 10 minutes or until the shrimps are no longer pink.
What pairs well with keto coconut shrimp?
Keto coconut shrimp goes great with any kind of seafood, especially when paired with a spicy sauce. The combination of sweet and savory flavors makes for a delicious dish.
What sauces can I serve for keto coconut shrimp?
Keto Coconut Shrimp is delicious when served with any of these sauces: Sriracha sauce, hot pepper jelly, sweet chili sauce, hoisin sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic butter, or honey mustard.
Can I Use Frozen Shrimp To Make Coconut Shrimp?
Yes, frozen shrimp can be used to make coconut shrimp. The only difference between making coconut shrimp from fresh or frozen shrimp is that the frozen ones need to be thawed first.
This air fryer coconut shrimp is a great dish to make and can be keto friendly too. It is easy to prepare and cook, and it is also healthy and delicious. So why not give it a try?
Looking for more air fryer recipes
Air Fryers are the new gadget craze and for good reason! They’re simple to use, fast and easy, and let you cook your food without all the fuss. Here are some air fryer recipes to get you started:
- Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Zucchini Chips in Air Fryer
- Pizza Wontons in the Air Fryer
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Parmesan Pork Chops
- Ranch Chicken Tenders in Air Fryer
- Fried Mushroom Recipe
- Low Carb Fried Fish with Dijon Mustard Sauce
Low Carb Coconut Shrimp
- 1 lb Raw, large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Unsweetened, flaked coconut
- In a small bowl, add coconut flour. In a 2nd bowl, add eggs and beat well. In a 3rd bowl, add flaked coconut.
- Dip the shrimp in the coconut flour. Then dip in eggs, making sure to remove excess egg. Finally, add shrimp to coconut bowl and press to coat the entire shrimp with coconut.
- Placed coated shrimp in the air fryer basket. Continue adding shrimp until you have a single layer of shrimp in the basket.
- Cook in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Stop cooking halfway through to flip shrimp. They are done when shrimp is pink and coconut is golden brown.
- You can substitute the coconut flour with almond flour or all-purpose flour (though this is not low carb)
- serve with cocktail sauce or a sweet chili dipping sauce
- If you don't have an air fryer, you can bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes
In conclusion, these keto shrimp recipes air fryer are a great way to enjoy a delicious and healthy meal. They are easy to make, and can be made in minutes. With so many different flavors to choose from, there is sure to be a recipe that everyone will love.