Last updated on March 30th, 2023
I made this fried tilapia recipe in my air fryer , but it could also be easily be baked in an oven or fried on the stove top! It’s an incredibly versatile recipe that you can tweak until you get your favorite blend of seasonings and cooking method. The dijon mustard sauce has a mild mustard taste that brings the whole dish together
This was one of those recipes that surprised me with how much I ended up loving it! I originally was just trying to come up with a quick, low-carb fish recipe that I could make in my air fryer. I know most people find tilapia pretty bland, though, so I wanted an easy sauce to serve it with.
For some reason, the combination of milk fish with milk sauce makes for an amazing dish! It really lets the parmesan in the crust shine through, and it all just pairs so perfectly together!
Bonus points because it’s a great low-carb dinner option that’s perfect for people following the keto way of eating or just those who are trying to stay healthy!
How to Make Fried Fish in the Air Fryer
I was a little worried that the fish would cook too quickly in the air fryer and be chewy once I pulled it out. It was perfectly flaky, though, and just exactly how you want your fish to turn it out. Air frying fish was definitely a success!
I started with thawed tilapia fillets that were about 1/2″ thick. You may have to adjust how long you cook it based on how thick your fish fillets are, but it shouldn’t be too big of a difference. I did not test air frying frozen fish fillets, but if you do, leave me a note to let me know how it goes!
In a small rectangular container, add 1/4 cup of coconut flour, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon pepper seasoning. Stir it together until it’s well blended.
Using cooking spray, lightly spray both sides of your tilapia fillets to coat them. Then dip in parmesan mixture and flip to coat opposite side as well. You might have to use your fingers to really press the coating on.
Add to air fryer pan and cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. You know your fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
While your fish is in the air fryer, this is the perfect time to make your Dijon Mustard Sauce!
To serve, plate your fried fish and spoon the dijon mustard sauce over the top. You can sprinkle with additional chives if you want but that’s completely optional.
Tips and Tricks to Making Fried Fish
- If you aren’t concerned with keeping your dinner low carb, there are a couple of substitutions you can make. Use all-purpose flour instead of coconut flour. Use milk instead of heavy whipping cream.
- You can also bake these in the oven if you don’t have an air fryer. Preheat your oven to broil and set the rack to the highest position. Broil the coated fish for about 4-6 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish. Turn over halfway through cooking. Fish is done when it flakes easily.
- If you don’t have lemon pepper seasoning , you can just add salt and pepper to taste to the low-carb breading mix before you coat the fish.
- The Dijon Mustard Sauce works really well with pork chops and chicken as well!
Looking for more healthy recipes
Looking for healthier recipes? Check out these recipes that are both tasty and nutritious! From breakfast recipes to dinner recipes, these dishes will give you everything you need to start your day off right or to fuel your body for a busy night.
- Avocado Deviled Eggs
- Pesto Chicken Roll-ups
- Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Easy Pizza Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Low Carb Recipe
- Easy Shrimp and Bacon Keto Dip
- Hot Pizza Dip Recipe – Low Carb Appetizer
Parmesan Crusted Fish Fillets with a Dijon Mustard Sauce
Fried Fish Fillets
- 1 lb Fish Fillets thawed
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Lemon Pepper Seasoning
Dijon Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp. Chives dried
- In a small, rectangular container, add coconut flour, parmesan cheese and lemon pepper seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Spray both sides of fish with cooking spray. Then add to parmesan mixture and coat both sides. Use fingers to press parmesan mixture into fish if necessary.
- Add to air fryer basket and cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. I stop the air fryer halfway through cooking time to flip the fish.
Dijon Mustard Sauce
- In small saucepan over medium heat, add sour cream, heavy whipping cream, dijon and chives. Stir to combine and heat through but do not let it boil.
- Spoon mustard sauce over cooked fish and serve immediately.
In conclusion, this Low Carb Fried Fish with Dijon Mustard Sauce recipe is a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional fried fish. It is quick and easy to make and can be enjoyed by the whole family. This is the best dijon mustard fish recipe. It’s so easy to make and tastes amazing.
Garlic Cheesy Bread - The Endless AppetiteAugust 15, 2020 at 4:49 am
[…] bread pairs perfectly with so many dishes like our favorite grilled chicken, BBQ meatballs or even Fried Fish with a Dijon Mustard Sauce. If you have a main dish, this is your easy […]
Caramelized Onions and Mushroom Crumble - The Endless AppetiteAugust 17, 2020 at 1:32 pm
[…] Tilapia with Dijon Sauce: and if you want to try this mushroom side dish with something a little lighter than steak, try this easy recipe for parmesan coated tilapia with a light dijon sauce. It’s surprisingly delicious! […]
Scalloped Corn Casserole - The Endless AppetiteSeptember 8, 2020 at 2:30 pm
[…] Fried Fish […]