I made this fried tilapia recipe in my air fryer, but it could easily be baked in an oven or fried on the stovetop! It’s an incredibly versatile recipe that you can tweak until you get your favorite blend of seasonings and cooking method. The dijon mustard sauce is a mild mustard taste that brings the whole dish together!
This was one of those recipes that surprised me with how much I ended up loving it! I originally was just trying to come up with a quick, low carb fish recipe that I could make in my air fryer. I know most people find tilapia pretty bland, though, so I wanted an easy sauce to serve it with.
For some reason, the combination of this milk fish with this milk sauce makes for an amazing dish! It really lets the parmesan in the crust shine through, and it all just pairs so perfectly together!
Bonus points because it’s a great low carb dinner option that’s perfect for people following the keto way of eating or just those who are trying to stay healthy!
How to Make Fried Fish in the Air Fryer
I was a little worried that the fish would cook too quickly in the air fryer and be chewy once I pulled it out. It was perfectly flaky, though, and exactly how you want your fish to turn it out. Air frying fish was definitely a success!
I started with thawed tilapia fillets that were about 1/2″ thick. You may have to adjust how long you cook it based on how thick your fish fillets are, but it shouldn’t be too big of a difference. I did not test air frying frozen fish fillets, but if you do, leave me a note to let me know how it goes!
In a small rectangular container, add 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning. Stir it together until it’s well blended.
Using cooking spray, lightly spray both sides of your tilapia fillets to coat them. Then dip in parmesan mixture and flip to coat opposite side as well. You might have to use your fingers to really press the coating on.
Add to air fryer pan and cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. You know your fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
I did stop my air fryer halfway through the cooking time to flip the fish over. If you want, you can do another quick spray of non-stick cooking spray at this point. It isn’t necessary but it helps it crisp up and gives it that golden color that is so appealing on fried food!
While your fish is in the air fryer, this is the perfect time to make your Dijon Mustard Sauce!
In a small saucepan, add 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, and 1/2 tablespoon dried chives. Heat through, but do not allow it to come to a boil. It if starts boiling, the sour cream will separate and it won’t look as smooth and appetizing.
To serve, plate your fried fish and spoon the dijon mustard sauce over the top. You can sprinkle with additional chives if you want but that’s completely optional.
Tips and Tricks to Making Fried Fish
- If you aren’t concerned with keeping your dinner low carb, there are a couple of substitutions you can make. Use all-purpose flour instead of coconut flour. Use milk instead of heavy whipping cream.
- You can also bake these in the oven if you don’t have an air fryer. Preheat your oven to broil and set the rack to the highest position. Broil the coated fish for about 4-6 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish. Turn over halfway through cooking. Fish is done when it flakes easily.
- If you don’t have lemon pepper seasoning, you can just add salt and pepper to taste to the low carb breading mix before you coat the fish.
- The Dijon Mustard Sauce works really well with pork chops and chicken as well!
Parmesan Crusted Fish Fillets with a Dijon Mustard Sauce
Fried Fish Fillets
- In a small, rectangular container, add coconut flour, parmesan cheese and lemon pepper seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Spray both sides of fish with cooking spray. Then add to parmesan mixture and coat both sides. Use fingers to press parmesan mixture into fish if necessary.
- Add to air fryer basket and cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. I stop the air fryer halfway through cooking time to flip the fish.
Dijon Mustard Sauce
- In small saucepan over medium heat, add sour cream, heavy whipping cream, dijon and chives. Stir to combine and heat through but do not let it boil.
- Spoon mustard sauce over cooked fish and serve immediately.