Last updated on September 7th, 2022
This Chocolate Brownie Cake is decadent and easy, but only makes a small batch so you aren’t left with tons of leftovers! Called a Chocolate Slice in Australia, it’s a dessert that everyone will enjoy!
Years ago, a friend of mine came back from living in Australia for a year and couldn’t stop talking about Chocolate Slice. While I never quite got an exact definition on what Chocolate Slice is, apparently it was one of her favorite foods during her stay.
She shared the recipe with me and while she calls it a cake, I think it resembles a brownie. You guys will just have to make it to decide for yourself!
I did change the frosting recipe on her recipe because it was a little too bland for my liking. I prefer more of a fudge frosting and this recipe fits the bill. Thick and creamy with a really strong chocolate flavor that will make you want to have a glass of milk with your cake.
How to Make Chocolate Brownie Cake
This baked cake is very dense and moist, so you want to make sure you prepare your pan correctly. Grease and 8″ square pan and line it with parchment paper.
I cut my parchment paper extra long so I had flaps that hung over two sides. This way once the cake was cooled, I could just lift it out of the pan by using the parchment paper as handles.
Once you have your pan greased and lined, set it aside while you make your batter.
Brownie Cake Ingredients:
- Butter- Your butter should be softened. Just set it out at room temperature about an hour before you want to start cooking to help it soften. For this recipe, I really suggest using butter and not margarine as you’ll be able to tell the difference.
- White Sugar and Brown Sugar- The combination of the two different kinds of sugar really adds a depth of flavor. You could use just white sugar if that’s all you have on-hand, but try it at least once with the two kinds to see how you like it!
- Vanilla Extract
- Flour- I’ve made this recipe a few times and have used all-purpose flour and self-rising flour. Both turned out great. I’ve never tested with another kind of flour, though.
- Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate Chips- 1/2 cup is a great amount for such a small amount, but more never hurt either! Wink, wink!
In a large stand mixer bowl, add softened butter and both sugars. Beat until pale and creamy. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated.
Then add the vanilla and egg and beat until combined.
Add the flour and cocoa powder and stir until just combined and no streaks of dry ingredients are left behind.
Then stir in the chocolate chips and add the batter to the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean. Then transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool completely.
This recipe for fudge frosting is seriously one of my favorites! Only 4 ingredients but so delicious! It pretty much makes any dessert better!
- Powdered Sugar- Sometimes called confectioners sugar or icing sugar.
- Cocoa Powder
- Butter- you want to melt the butter for this frosting recipe.
- Boiling Water- I’m not even sure you can count this as an ingredient!
The first step to making the frosting is to sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together. I know sifting is tedious and no-fun, but you don’t want any lumps in your frosting so it really is important.
Once it’s sifted into a large bowl, stir to combine. Then add your melted butter and one tablespoon of boiling water and stir well to combine everything. If your frosting is too thick, you can add one more tablespoon of boiling water to get it to an easy spreading consistency.
Then spread over your cooled brownie cake and let it set for about 15 minutes or so before cutting.
More Chocolate Desserts You Might Like:
- Chocolate Cherry Cake
- Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Dark Chocolate No-bake Cookies
- German Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Brownie Cake
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg large
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1.5 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Butter melted
- 1-2 Tbsp. Boiling Water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8"x8" square baking pan. Then line baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, add softened butter and both sugars. Beat until pale and creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat until combined.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa powder until there are no streaks of dry ingredients left.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick tests clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the melted butter and 1 tablespoon of the boiling water. Stir well. If your icing is too thick, you can add 1 more tablespoon of boiling water to get it to spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake and then let set for about 15 minutes before you cut it.
In conclusion, this chocolate brownie cake with fudge icing is the perfect dessert for any occasion. The rich chocolate flavor and creamy fudge icing are sure to please everyone. So why not give it a try?
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save it for later!