Last updated on September 7th, 2022
This Chocolate Cherry Cake is only 4 ingredients for the cake and tastes amazing! You’ll never believe how easy this is to make and you’ll soon be bringing this to every potluck you’re invited to!
This cake takes me right back to my childhood when my mom would be busy but still want to put a delicious treat on the table. This recipe was the go-to because it seriously couldn’t be easier or faster! Here is our new recipe for serving any occasion. These chocolate cakes are a great dessert to serve at parties or for family.
Including the cake recipe and the frosting recipe, you’re still at less than 10 ingredients and two of them are the extracts!
But even more impressive than how easy it is, is how amazing it tastes! It is so moist and stays fresh much longer than a regular cake recipe. The cherries in the batter give it a rich flavor that pairs perfectly with the thick fudge frosting.
Cake Mix with Pie Filling
This recipe is pretty much the definition of a dump, mix and bake cake.
Mix it up really well and pour it into a greased 13×9 pan. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until it tests done. Let it cool completely before frosting it.
How to Make Fudge Frosting
Yes, you could absolutely just buy store bought frosting for this cake, but I promise you it will not be the same. Occasionally I’m willing to buy pre-made, store bought items because the convenience is more important than the quality. But cake frosting is not one of those times!
It does not take long to make this chocolate fudge frosting and it is sooo worth it! It’s so rich and velvety and elevates this cake to the next level.
In a medium bowl, mix 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of milk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extra. Once the cocoa mixture has cooled, add it to the powdered sugar bowl and stir really well until it’s smooth and no lumps remain.
Spread it over the cooled cake and enjoy!
Tips to Making Chocolate Cherry Cake
- When you’re making the cake, you really want JUST the dry cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract. That’s it! Do NOT add the ingredients that the cake box calls for or it will not turn out right.
- If you really have a sweet tooth, feel free to add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips into your cake batter before spreading in pan.
- This cake does not freeze really well once it’s frosted, so be sure to eat it all fresh! I’m sure that will not be a problem!
- The almond extract really gives a depth of flavor that pairs perfectly with the cherry pie filling. If you don’t have almond extract, you can use vanilla extract in its place but it will alter the taste slightly.
- You can use any type of chocolate cake mix you can find: Chocolate, chocolate fudge, devil’s food, triple chocolate.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
- 1 15 oz box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 21 oz can Cherry Pie Filling
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Almond Extract
- 6 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13x9 pan with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract. Mix until well combined and then pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until it tests done. Cool completely
- In a small bowl, add cocoa powder and butter and microwave just until melted. Stir well and then set aside to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth and velvety. Spread over cooled cake and enjoy!
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!