This Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad is a crunchy Asian salad that’s packed with flavor. The easiest salad to make that can also be made ahead of time!
This is one of those dishes that doesn’t really make sense why it’s so good. If you look at the individual ingredients, it doesn’t sound that appetizing or like anything would rave about.
But I’m telling you, once you take that first bite it’s like you can’t stop! I’ve taken this to a few potlucks and BBQs since the first time I made it, and I get asked for the recipe every single time!
How to Make Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad
Are you ready for this?? Super complicated recipe coming up…
You dump everything in a bowl and mix!
That’s it! I don’t even bother mixing the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl. I just dump it all in the bowl I’m going to be serving it in, mix it up and stick it in the fridge.
These bowls are my favorites for recipes like this. It’s a glass bowl so it looks pretty to take to a picnic and serve it in, and I’m just in love with any bowl that comes with a lid. I can’t tell you how much I love this set of bowls!
So worth it to not have to store plastic mixing bowls and separate serving bowls. I just use these for everything now! (And yes, I know I took a picture in a blue bowl but glass bowls just don’t photograph that well. So do as I say and not as I do. Blogger life adds some extra challenges…)
Aaanyways, this ramen noodle coleslaw is made with a pre-packaged bag of coleslaw, 2 packs of ramen noodles, sesame seeds, green onions, olive oil, sugar, vinegar and pepper.
The most complicated part of this recipe is the 2 packs of Ramen noodles. I use the chicken flavor but feel free to experiment with other flavors if that’s all you have on-hand. Even though you’re using 2 packs of the noodles, you’re only using 1 pack of the seasoning that comes with it.
So throw the extra pack of ramen flavorings away and dump one packet in your bowl. Next break the noodles themselves up into small pieces and toss them in the bowl too.
Add a whole bag of coleslaw mix and all your other ingredients. It’s going to seem like a lot of pepper… I mean look at all that pepper piled on top! But I first made it with a small amount and kept adding more till it was just right. You can try a smaller amount too, but I found this was perfect for us!
Stir well and then pop it in the fridge to chill.
This crunchy noodle salad is best made a couple hours ahead of time. It’s even delicious made the night before. I thought I wouldn’t like it the next day because I assumed the noodles would get soggy, but I was wrong. It tasted delicious the next day. My daughter couldn’t stay away from it!
Easy BBQ Menu
I’m a sucker for a good backyard BBQ and this dish fits right in! I think there should be a good combination of hot and cold dishes and recipes that can be made ahead of time!
- Smoked Meat Rub– can be grilled or cooked on a smoker, meat can be prepared hours ahead of time
- Chicken Salad– a great option if you don’t want to have to man a grill while guests are there! You can make a giant batch of this the day before and all you have to do when guests arrive is open a pack of rolls!
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad – a delicious, low carb side dish if you have guests that are keto
- Summer Caprese Salad– with tomatoes and fresh corn, this orzo salad just screams summer!
- Old Fashioned Baked Beans– every good BBQ needs a solid baked beans dish! This homemade baked beans recipe is so easy to make and isn’t watery at all. Everyone asks for this recipe!
- Chocolate Chip Blondies– I’m not sure what it is about these bars, but they stay fresh and gooey for days! Perfect to make the day before your party!
- S’mores Cupcakes– every good BBQ needs s’mores but oh my word, they are so messy! These s’mores cupcakes gives you the famous flavor without all the mess!
- Boozy Strawberry Lemonade– A super refreshing, adult drink that is made in minutes! I actually store this in my freezer over the summer so I always have some available!
- Lime in the Coconut Cocktail– This is one of the most popular recipes on my site and with good reason… it is amazing! Based on a Brazilian Lemonade recipe, you can leave the rum out of this one to make it non-alcoholic too.
And there you have it, the perfect BBQ! Two options from each course for you to pick from and all are tried and tested many times over, on many different people!
Ramen Noodle Salad
- Open the two packs of ramen noodles. Save one pack of flavoring and throw the other pack away. Break up the ramen noodles into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients including the 1 pack of flavoring from the ramen noodles.
- Stir everything really well to combine, cover and store in fridge. This salad is best if chilled for a few hours or overnight before eating.