Last updated on November 8th, 2023
There’s something magical about those juicy, mouth-watering buffalo wild wings served up at the local joint. The secret to that irresistible flavor? It’s all in the dry rub, folks! Never heard of it? Well, it’s a combo of spices and seasonings that gives a burst of flavor to chicken wings. It’s that smoky and spicy mix that can make anyone say, “These are some delicious wings!” Not too complicated, anyone can prepare this recipe, and by anyone- we mean you!
So roll up your sleeves and be ready to learn the copycat recipe of Buffalo Wild Wings Dry Rub. Want to know the best part? Your grocery list won’t be a mile long! All you need are the exact ingredients and some enthusiasm. Topped with a traditional wing sauce or dipped into lemon juice, it’ll be lip-smacking good. Now, let’s knock the ball out of the park!
Your Detailed Ingredient List
For Homemade Dry Rub
Making the delicious dry rub isn’t rocket science. All you need are the right ingredients and measurements. Grab your paper and pen and jot down the following: 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika, and a sprinkle of salt and vinegar. Remember, the key is in the details. Don’t try to get fancy and eyeball it, stick with the spoon to mix and measure the dry ingredients. Also, don’t forget the dried oregano, it’s an essential part of the mix.
Must-have Spices and Herbs
Every cook knows, good spices and herbs are the backbone of any recipe. So, here we’ll focus on some must-have spices and herbs that’ll turn ordinary chicken wings to a feast for the senses. We are talking about the likes of smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper, dried oregano, and a dash of cayenne pepper for that added kick. These are the key players that add layers of flavor to chicken wings, transforming them into a drool-worthy treat.
Recommended Seasonings for Added Complexity
Now let’s add a layer of complexity to the mix. Cyan pepper, salt and pepper apart, there are a number of seasonings that could add depth to your dry rub. Brown sugar, for instance, would provide a nice hint of sweetness that beautifully balances the heat of the spices. Adding a dash of dried sage or thyme would introduce a warm, earthy aroma, while a sprinkle of ground cumin would lend an exotic, smoky flavor to the wings. Remember, the way you mix the spices gives the wings a unique taste. So don’t be afraid to put your stamp on it.
Crafting the Desert Heat Dry Rub Recipe: A Walkthrough
If you are a fan of spicy wings, then this walkthrough is specially designed for you. We are diving deep into crafting the desert heat dry rub recipe. Spicy wings are a fan favorite, and this desert heat dry rub is the super-hero without the cape, the unsung hero, the cherry on top! It’s going to be a game-changer to your wing making journey. So, get the sour cream ready and let’s turn the heat on!
Initial Steps: Mixing and Prepping the Dry Rub
Alright, let’s break it down. Start off by gathering all your spices and seasonings. You’ll need your 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika, some dried oregano and the other ingredients we listed earlier. Now, before you go tossing things into a bowl, remember this: precision is crucial here. So, measure your spices and herbs carefully.
Next, combine all these ingredients in a bowl. Break out that spoon and mix everything together. Get down to business and ensure that all the ingredients meld together. You’re looking for a uniform mixture, where each spoonful is just as potent as the next. Congratulations, you’ve just prepped your dry rub!
Marinating and Cooking Your Chicken Wings
Now, it’s time to move on to marinating and cooking your chicken wings, no matter if they’re fresh or frozen. First things first, grab your measuring spoon and a mixing bowl. Once you’ve got that, it’s time to whip up that spice mix. Put the chili powder, ground cumin seeds, crushed black peppercorn, a touch of that garlic powder – a full teaspoon of each – into the mixing bowl. Add a tablespoon of your favorite kosher salt and the same of brown sugar, too. Each ingredient contributes to the trademark Buffalo Wild Wings dry rub flavor.
Now here’s where the vegetable oil comes into play. Add enough to make the mix cling to your wings. Ensure each wing is evenly coated in the mix, then pop them into an airtight container. Marinade time is flexible here, fit it around your day. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F. Lay out your marinated wings on a tray, keeping space in between each to allow them to cook evenly. A tip straight from a wing wizard: pat your chicken wings dry with paper towels and brush with a little oil before cooking. It’ll help those wings turn a good level of crispy.
Serving Suggestions – Best Compliments to Your Dry Rub Wings
Alright, now your Buffalo Wild Wings dry rub chicken wings are ready, it’s time to play with flavor pairing. See, dry seasoning is what gives these wings their intrigue, but pairing them with the right sauce or side dish takes the flavor experience to another dimension. Here are a few quick ideas to get your imagination running.
Pairing the Dry Rub with Different Sauces
It might seem like overkill to add sauce to a perfectly good dry rub chicken wing, but trust this – the right sauce can amplify that smoky, spicy profile. Whether it’s a rich barbecue to contrast the dry seasoning, a tangy blue cheese dip to cut through the heat, or a daring attempt at a sauce that doubles down on the flavors already present in your wings, pairing is part of the fun. Experiment to find your favorite dipping sauce, or serve a variety for everyone to explore.
Matching the Spicy Wings with Balance Side Dishes
And if you’re serving up a meal, these spicy wings are a perfect main dish. Paired with some balanced side dishes, your meal will be complete. A classic combo is celery and carrots, their crisp and cool crunch providing a refreshing counterpoint to the spicy wings. So remember, even though the dry rub chicken wings are the star of the show, their flavors can be enhanced and balanced with the right side dishes.
The journey towards mastering the flavor of Buffalo Wild Wings dry rub recipe begins with a step. This isn’t a jaunt to the corner store, folks. It’s a flavor-filled venture, a bit like going through the wild landscapes of the classic buffalo, barbeque, and even the parmesan cheese taste valleys. Imagine the delicious and mouth-watering aura that drifts up when that chicken hits the heat, the seductive sizzle as the dry rub seals in all those bold flavors. It’s a concert of spices, like a sweet and spicy symphony.
Wrap this whole adventure up, and what does one get? A signature buffalo wild wings dry rub recipe. A recipe that’s not just a meal, but an experience, a tasty journey through the lands of buffalo flavor, spicy enough to awaken the taste buds and sweet enough to keep them wanting more. An adventure that leaves a mark, a flavor fingerprint as unique as its creator. That’s one heck of a voyage, folks, and it all begins with a pinch of this, a dash of that, and a whole lot of passion.
Buffalo Wild Wings Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt and vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for extra heat)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5 lbs (700g) chicken wings, fresh or frozen
- Prepare the Dry Rub: In a mixing bowl, combine garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, vinegar, dried oregano, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper (if using), brown sugar, dried sage, and ground cumin. Mix well to ensure all the spices are evenly incorporated.
- Marinate the Chicken Wings: In another mixing bowl, place the chicken wings and add the vegetable oil. Toss the wings to coat them evenly with the oil. Sprinkle the prepared dry rub over the wings, ensuring each wing is thoroughly coated. Cover the bowl and let the wings marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, or longer for a more intense flavor.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Arrange and Bake the Wings: Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Remove the wings from the marinade, allowing any excess to drip off. Place the wings on the prepared baking tray, leaving space between each wing to ensure even cooking. For extra crispiness, pat the wings dry with paper towels and brush them lightly with a little more oil. Bake the wings in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy, turning them halfway through the cooking time for even browning.
- Serve: Once the wings are cooked through and crispy, remove them from the oven. Serve the Buffalo Wild Wings dry rub chicken wings hot, paired with your favorite dipping sauces and balanced side dishes like celery sticks and carrot sticks.
- For extra crispy wings, pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels before marinating them.
- Experiment with different dipping sauces like barbecue, blue cheese, or homemade spicy mayo to find your favorite pairing.
- Balance the heat of the wings with refreshing side dishes like celery and carrot sticks.