This creamy cucumber salad with a mayo dressing is packed with fresh sliced cucumbers, red onions and a vinegar and mayonnaise dressing that is super refreshing for summer picnic side dishes!
This cucumber salad is the perfect summer side dish that pairs perfectly with Asian pork burgers, a perfectly grilled steak, chicken salad sandwiches, pork sandwiches in arepas and so much more! It’s a light and refreshing picnic side dish recipe that complements just about any main dish!
Packed with fresh cucumbers (I’m jealous if you’re able to grow garden cucumbers!), red onions and a light and creamy dressing, this salad makes an appearance at our house many times each summer!
It’s even really low in carbs so perfect if you’re looking for a keto-friendly side dish to take to a picnic! You can cut the carbs down even further by omitting the onions completely.
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad with Mayo
I use regular, garden cucumbers for this recipe but you can easily use English cucumbers too if you prefer. I like mine cut very thin with the cucumber skin left on.
If you aren’t a fan of cucumber skin, feel free to peel it first! You can also cut your slices thicker or even cut them thick and then cut each slice in half again. It’s really up to you how you slice your cucumbers and won’t affect the final taste of this recipe at all!
Since I like mine really thin and uniform, I always cut them with my mandoline. It makes it go incredibly fast and it also means I’ll get nice, even slices every time!
Directions for Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Slice cucumber into thin slices.
- Slice half a large red onion into small, thin strips.
- In a large bowl, add Hellman’s mayo, sour cream, red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Stir really well to combine.
- Add cucumber slices and red onions to bowl with dressing. Toss to coat and enjoy!
And that’s it! Only 4 steps and less than 10 ingredients for this delicious salad that’s perfect for summer!
Tips & Tricks
- I like my Creamy Cucumber Salad, well…. creamy! I only use 3 large cucumbers so I have lots of dressing. You can easily add 1-2 more cucumbers, though, and still keep the dressing portions the same. This would be great to bulk it up if you’re feeding a large crowd.
- Tomatoes would go perfectly with this salad too! Not everyone loves tomatoes as much as I do, though, so I left it out of this recipe. But just know that if you’re a fellow tomato fiend, chop some up and throw them in. I’d chop them up like I show you how to do with my other tomato & cucumber salad recipe. Can you see a pattern here??
- I’m not the biggest fan of dill, but I’ve been told I’m wrong about that a lot. If you’re a dill lover, you can leave out the Italian Seasoning and replace it with dried dill weed instead. Or go bold and add some fresh dill to taste!
- This dish is best made on the day it’s served. In fact, I only make it about an hour or so before we’re going to eat it. You can still definitely eat it after that, but it will start getting a little watery. It doesn’t stop us from chowing down the next day, though!
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Peel and slice your cucumbers. I prefer mine sliced very thinly, but you can cut yours thicker if you prefer.
- Slice red onion into small, thin pieces.
- In a large bowl, add mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder and Italian seasonings. Stir well to combine.
- Add sliced cucumbers and onion to bowl with dressing. Toss well to coat and then refrigerate until ready to eat. Best made within a couple hours of eating.