Published: 06/07/2021 | Updated: 04/20/2023
These open faced tuna melts are made with the most delicious tuna salad recipe, hamburger buns, tomatoes and melted cheese! An affordable and filling lunch or dinner idea!
This open face tuna melt recipe is a fantastic way to use up extra hamburger buns! We always find ourselves with a few extras in every pack, so we tuck away recipes like this so they don’t go to waste.
While tuna melts are nothing new, it’s the tuna salad that makes or breaks it.
This tuna salad recipe is packed with flavor while still being easy. You probably have almost all of the ingredients already in your pantry and fridge. It takes just a few minutes to whip it up.
And then you can just keep a bowl of it in the fridge and everyone can make their own tuna melts on their own time for a quick lunch. This is a lot better than making them all at once and then having to reheat later.
Tuna Salad Recipe
- canned tuna
- mayonnaise (please use Hellman’s!)
- lemon juice
- mustard (dijon or spicy brown)
- red onion, finely chopped
Just combine all ingredients in a bowl and combine!
To make the tuna melts, just separate hamburger buns into two pieces and lay out on a cookie sheet.
Scoop tuna salad on each one, top with a tomato slice and some cheese.
Keep repeating until they’re all covered in cheese. This made 6 tuna melts for us but you could probably get 8 out of it if you spread out your tuna a little bit more. We like to load it up, though.
Then heat them at 375 for about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the broiler on. Put under the broiler for about 3-4 minutes to get the cheese nice and golden brown.
Other Easy Meal Ideas:
- Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad in Avocado Boats
- Simple Chicken Salad
- Pizza Pancakes
- Mexican Chicken Soup
Side Dishes to Serve it With:
- Potato Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
Open-faced Tuna Melts
- 3 Hamburger Rolls
- 12 oz Tuna in water
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp. Mustard dijon or spicy brown
- 1/4 cup Red Onion diced
- 6 Tomato Slices
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, red onion, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined.
- Separate the hamburger rolls into 6 different pieces and place them cut side up on a cookie sheet.
- Divide tuna salad between the hamburger buns. Top with a slice of tomato. Spread cheese evenly on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake for about 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the broiler on. Broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.
In conclusion, this open faced tuna melt recipe is a quick and easy way to make a delicious meal. It is perfect for a busy weeknight or when you’re craving something comfort food. Give open face tuna melt recipe a try and you’ll be sure to love it!