A heart breakfast casserole filled with chorizo, spinach and eggs. If you’re looking for a low carb breakfast option, this will become a favorite!
I am not a morning person, but I do have kids who love a hot breakfast.
The solution is breakfast casseroles and lots of them. They’re so easy to throw together and bake in the evening, and then everyone can just wake up whenever they feel like and heat up a slice.
This version of an egg casserole with chorizo is my husband’s favorite!
What is Chorizo?
Chorizo is a type of sausage but the difference between chorizo and an Italian sausage is the spice factor. Chorizo is much spicer than an Italian sausage and also has more of a reddish color.
There are two main types of chorizo: Spanish and Mexican. Both are spicy, but they get their spiciness from different, well… spices.
Mexican chorizo is seasoned with vinegar and chile peppers. Spanish chorizo is usually made with garlic and hot paprika. The paprika is what gives it that reddish tint and why the finished egg casserole looks more reddish/orangish.
Where I live, we normally can find the Spanish chorizo, which is fine by us because we love garlic and paprika!
You cook chorizo just like you would any other ground sausage.
For this recipe, I cooked a diced onion in a little oil for about 5 minutes. Then I added the chorizo until it was cooked through.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix your eggs, heavy cream, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese. Whisk it really well until it’s all combined.
Then I add chopped fresh spinach and the onion/chorizo mix to the eggs and mixed it all up before pouring it in a greased 13×9 pan.
Sprinkle the top with more cheese, because who doesn’t want that golden brown melted cheese to be the first thing they see?
And bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes until the center is set.
Now you absolutely can enjoy this right away! Eat it while it’s warm and serve it for company.
We just like to meal prep on Sunday nights, so we make it then and enjoy it all week long! Just cut off a piece and reheat in the microwave for 1-1.5 minutes until it’s heated through.
Tips for Egg Casseroles
- You can add whatever types of veggies you like. Mushrooms and diced green peppers are often added to ours.
- You can use milk or almond milk in place of the heavy whipping cream.
- This is a fantastic low carb option if you’re following the keto lifestyle.
- Feel free to switch up the cheese flavor too if you aren’t a big cheddar fan (gasp!).
Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13x9 pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add chorizo and fry until cooked through.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, heavy whipping cream and garlic powder. Whisk until well blended. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and whisk to combine. Add spinach and chorizo mixture to eggs and stir well. Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is set.
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!