This loaded mashed potato casserole is filled with bacon and melted cheese for a comforting side dish that’s perfect for chilly nights or even a holiday side dish!
If that picture doesn’t make you want to try this recipe, maybe the description will!
A creamy and rich potato filling is scattered with crispy bacon and topped with a gooey, melted cheese and more bacon. It’s so good it’s practically sinful!
It’s a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, but honestly, I would make mashed potatoes fresh just so I could have this dish!
It’s perfect for a holiday side dish on Thanksgiving or Easter or honestly just to treat your family on a chilly night.
What is in Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole?
Basically everything you would want to be in it!
And it’s so easy that the directions are just to stir it all together and pour it into the casserole dish!
Top with more cheese and more crumbled bacon and then it’s ready to bake.
It couldn’t be easier and it also couldn’t be more impressive!
Helpful Hints and Tips:
- You can make the potatoes as chunky or as creamy as you’d like. Sometimes in casserole dishes like this, I like to leave mine a little chunkier. Totally your call!
- If you’re looking for a super easy way to make mashed potatoes, check out this recipe. I’ve been making mashed potatoes for over 20 years now, and this is the easiest way I’ve found!
- You can add chopped green onions to this recipe if you want. Your choice to either mix them in with the potatoes so they’re baked with the dish or sprinkle them on top after you pull it out of the oven.
- When my time is up and it’s done cooking, I turn the broiler on and broil it for 5 minutes to get the cheese nice and done.
- If you’re a garlic fan, you can add 3 cloves of minced garlic to the mashed potatoes when you’re mixing all the ingredients together.
- You can also add 3 tablespoons of dry ranch seasoning for a ranch potato casserole.
- This dish will fill a 13×9 pan or a 3-quart casserole.
Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, reserving 1 cup of cheese and 1/4 cup of bacon.
- Spread mashed potato mixture into casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and remaining crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Optional: turn on broil and broil for 5 minutes to get cheese a nice golden brown.
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!