Published: 10/19/2020 | Updated: 01/18/2024
This loaded mashed potato casserole is filled with bacon and melted cheese for a comforting side dish that’s perfect for chilly nights or even a holiday side dish!
If that picture doesn’t make you want to try this recipe, maybe the description will!
Loaded mashed potato casserole is my favorite potato casserole recipe. it is a delicious and easy side dish that is perfect for any special occasion. This casserole is made with potatoes, bacon, favorite cheese, and sour cream, and it is sure to be a hit with everyone. You can make this casserole ahead of time, and it reheats well.
A creamy and rich fantastic potato dish filling is scattered with crispy slices bacon and topped with a gooey, melted cheese and more bacon. It’s so good baked potato toppings and it’s practically sinful!
It’s a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, but honestly, I would make mashed potatoes fresh just so I could have this potato side dish!
It’s perfect for a holiday side dish on Thanksgiving or family dinners or Easter or honestly just to treat your family on a chilly night.
What is in Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole?
Be sure to see the printable recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions.
- Mashed Potatoes
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Crispy Bacon
- Sour Cream
- Melted Butter
Basically everything you would want to be in it!
And it’s so easy that the directions are just to stir it all together and pour it into the casserole dish!
Top with additional cheese and more crumbled bacon and then it’s ready to bake.
It couldn’t be easier and it also couldn’t be more impressive!
What cheese should be used for Loaded Potato Casserole?
I like to use sharp cheddar cheese for this recipe, but you can also use mild cheddar or even a mix of cheeses. You can also add some Parmesan cheese for an extra cheesy flavor. You could also try using pepper jack cheese or mozzarella cheese if you wanted to switch it up.
Helpful Hints and Tips:
- You can make the potatoes as chunky or as creamy as you’d like. Sometimes in casserole dishes like this, I like to leave mine a little chunkier. Totally your call!
- If you’re looking for a super easy way to make mashed potatoes, check out this recipe. I’ve been making mashed potatoes for over 20 years now, and this is the easiest way I’ve found!
- You can add chopped green onions to this recipe if you want. Your choice to either mix them in with the potatoes so they’re baked with the dish or sprinkle them on top after you pull it out of the oven.
- When my time is up and it’s done cooking, I turn the broiler on and broil it for 5 minutes to get the cheese nice and done.
- If you’re a garlic fan, you can add 3 cloves of minced garlic to the mashed potatoes when you’re mixing all the ingredients together.
- You can also add 3 tablespoons of dry ranch seasoning for a ranch potato casserole.
- This dish will fill a 13×9 pan or a 3-quart casserole.
This Mash Potato Casserole is the ultimate comfort food for a chilly winter evening or christmas party. The creamy potatoes are combined with real bacon bits, cheese, and green onions, making it a tasty and filling dish. Serve with a side of green beans or other vegetables for a complete holiday meal.
More Delicious Vegetable Side Dish Recipes:
Looking for more perfect side dishes recipes? Try these easy, delicious, and healthy family favorite recipes!
- Scalloped Corn Casserole
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- Brown Sugar and Honey Glazed Carrots
- Easy Chinese Green Beans
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- 8 cups Mashed Potatoes about 4 lbs
- 5 Tbsp. Butter melted
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese divided
- 16 oz. Bacon cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, reserving 1 cup of cheese and 1/4 cup of bacon.
- Spread mashed potato mixture into casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and remaining crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Optional: turn on broil and broil for 5 minutes to get cheese a nice golden brown.