Last updated on February 6th, 2023
This easy garlic cheesy bread starts with leftover hot dog buns and tops it with garlic butter, mozzarella and parmesan. A perfect side dish for nearly any main course!
Garlic bread is a classic dish that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. The combination of garlic and cheese makes this dish irresistible. This recipe is easy to follow and only takes a few minutes to prepare. This delicious cheesy goodness is sure to be a hit with you and your family.
We spent years making garlic bread with full-size loaves of Italian or French bread and pretty much never thought to do it any other way! It was like we were on autopilot and thought that was the only way to make it.
Until one day I had some leftover hot dog rolls and decided to use them for some garlic cheesy bread already portioned to an individual serving. Because let’s face it, cutting a hot loaf of bread into individual bread slices is no fun at all!
These turned out so well, that it’s pretty much the only way we make garlic bread now for a couple of reasons:
- We can make exactly as many serving sizes as we want so we waste less.
- When we made full-size loaves of Italian bread, we would only eat about 25% of it and so much would often get thrown away because it’s just way too much for 4 people.
- We can customize them if we want since each person gets their own. For example, sometimes my husband likes straight garlic bread without cheese, my son will often sprinkle extra garlic powder on his, etc.
- They aren’t quite as filling as a slice of Italian bread since they’re thinner. Less carbs… hooray!!
How to Make Garlic Cheesy Bread
This recipe makes 8 individual “breadsticks”. If you ask me, that means 8 servings. If you ask my son, it means 2 servings. Take that for what you want, but just notice in the recipe card I do have the nutritional info listed for 8 servings since it’s 8 individual portions, and I’m a normal human being.
But it really could not be easier to make these! Start with by separating each hot dog bun down the middle so each bun becomes two pieces.
Lay your bread pieces on a cookie sheet with the inside of the bun facing up.
Then spread your butter mixture evenly among your hot dog rolls. Don’t worry about being too careful. They’re all just going to come out looking and smelling heavenly anyways!
Then bake at 425 for about 10 minutes or so. You want to watch them to make sure they don’t burn because the actual time will depend on how hot your oven runs and which rack you put your baking sheet on.
I like mine a little crispier versus still soft in the middle, but that’s going to be personal preference. You want them golden brown, though, with the cheese nice and melted!
Tips for Making Garlic Cheesy Bread
- You can make the butter cheese mixture ahead of time and just store it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it for homemade breadsticks.
- I’ve even kept it in the fridge for a week or so and we just use it to make one hot dog roll worth of breadsticks as we want them rather than a whole batch.
- You can use this same butter mixture on a loaf of Italian or French bread loaf if traditional garlic bread is more your jam. I’ve also used it on hamburger rolls if that’s all I have on hand!
- Feel free to adjust the measurements to suit your taste: less parsley or garlic if you find them too overpowering, more cheese if dairy is your love language.
- This garlic cheesy bread pairs perfectly with so many dishes like our favorite grilled chicken, BBQ meatballs or even Fried Fish with a Dijon Mustard Sauce. If you have a main dish, this is your easy side!
Can I Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil in This Recipe?
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is a popular cooking oil, but it may not be the best choice for every recipe. In this case, I would recommend against using EVOO in this particular recipe. The strong flavor of EVOO can overpower the delicate flavors of the cheese and garlic in the bread, making it taste too heavy and greasy.
Garlic bread is one of my favorite side dishes to serve because it’s so easy to make and everyone loves it. Whether I’m serving Italian recipes, soups, salads or just regular baked chicken, garlic bread is always a hit. It’s definitely the most requested side dish in our house! My kids love to have leftovers with some homemade marinara sauce for dipping.
This homemade garlic bread recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dish with basic ingredients that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It is the perfect appetizer or side dish for any occasion and can be tailored to fit any palate. So why not give this cheesy garlic bread recipe a try? I promise you won’t be disappointed this homemade breadsticks.
Looking for more Side Dishes recipes
There are so many recipes for Side Dishes that it’s hard to know where to start. This is why we’ve put together this roundup of some of our favorite Side Dish recipes to get you started. There’s something for everyone in this roundup.
- Loaded Potato Pancakes
- Brown Sugar and Butter Carrots
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Mashed Potatoes in Instant Pot
- Scalloped Corn Casserole
- Corn Pie Casserole
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Tomato Gravy
Garlic Cheesy Bread
- 4 Hot Dog Rolls
- 5 Tbsp. Butter softened
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic minced
- 1/2 Tbsp. Parsley
- 1/4 cup Parmesan shredded
- 2 Tbsp. Mozzarella shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Split hot dog rolls in half and place on a baking sheet. There should be 8 individual pieces of bread.
- In a medium size bowl, mix melted butter, garlic, fresh parsley, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese until well combined. Spread evenly among the 8 pieces of soft bread.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!