This teriyaki glaze and marinade is packed with flavor and goes so well with all kinds of main courses and sides! Use as a glaze or a marinade in under 10 minutes.
For years I always purchased my teriyaki glaze until one time I found myself without any with the rest of my dinner ready to go. There was zero time to run to the store, so I had to improvise.
I pulled a few ingredients from about 4 different recipes to customize it to our taste, and ended up with the best teriyaki glaze I’ve ever had!
It came together so quickly and tasted so amazing, that I haven’t bought any from a store since!
Ingredients for Teriyaki Glaze
Add all ingredients except water and cornstarch to a saucepan over medium heat.
In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth and no lumps remain. Then add to saucepan and combine with other ingredients.
Cornstarch is a thickener, so it’s really important to get that thick glaze that coats the spoon. Just look how glorious that is!
But if you add it straight to the hot pan with the other ingredients, it will clump up and never dissolve. You’ll end up with a teriyaki sauce filled with tiny little clumps of cornstarch.
By mixing it with cold water first until it’s smooth, you’ll end up with a gorgeous smooth sauce.
Continue heating, stirring occasionally, until it thickens. If it becomes too thick, you can add a splash of water until you get it to the consistency you prefer.
Remove from heat and start enjoying!
Ways to Use Teriyaki Glaze and Marinade
- This makes a great marinade for all kinds of meat: chicken, salmon, shrimp, pork. In fact, if you want to use this as a marinade, you can omit the step with the cornstarch in the recipe. Just add the other ingredients to your sauce pan until heated through and slightly thickened. Then combine with your meat and marinate overnight.
- We love to use this glaze to brush on food before grilling! It gives a caramelized finish to your food that is out of this world! We often will grill burgers and brush this on the outside of the burger for the last few minutes.
- This also pairs well with pineapple! If you’ve never grilled pineapple, you need to stop what you’re doing and go try it now! It is so amazing, especially with this sweet and savory glaze.
- You can also make shish kebabs to combine the pineapple, shrimp, onions and other veggies and brush the whole thing with the teriyaki glaze.
- This glaze is also good as a dipping sauce served alongside your cooked meat. You saw how thick it was! Put a little bowl out and dip your cooked chicken or cooked pork in it. Amazing!
Teriyaki Glaze and Marinade
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Rice Wine
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients except water and constarch in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch and stir until completely smooth and no lumps remain. Add to the saucepan with the other ingredients.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture thickens. If it becomes too thick, you can add a splash of water until it reaches your desired consistency,
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!