A creamy baked macaroni and cheese is topped with pulled pork and drizzled with BBQ sauce for a one-dish dinner! This will make you feel like you’re eating at a Southern BBQ joint!
We travel fairly frequently and have been to our fair share of BBQ restaurants. We prefer the local joints where they smoke the meat out back. And every single one we’ve gone to has some version of this recipe on their menu.
It’s the perfect combination of a creamy, cheesy pasta dish topped with the tangy and salty BBQ pork. I’ve eaten my fair share of it on vacation, and now with this recipe, I can eat it at home too!
Baked Mac and Cheese
The base of this recipe is the macaroni and cheese. I normally prefer a baked mac and cheese that is cooked for almost an hour to get it almost crispy on top.
For this, recipe, though, the creamier the better! This is actually a recipe for a stove top mac and cheese. You could really eat it straight from the step.
But the magic of this dish is to combine the two layers, so we do end up baking the mac and cheese for 15-20 minutes or so.
But I promise you, it stays creamy and gooey and starts absorbing all that BBQ sauce that drips down into it.
For this recipe, I use 2 cups of pulled pork leftover from my recipe for shredded pork in the Instant Pot. I keep bags in the freezer just for recipes like this to make it that much easier!
Once your pork is thawed, toss it with a cup of your favorite BBQ sauce.
Spread the pulled pork evenly over the mac and cheese. Then drizzle with about 2 tablespoons more of the BBQ sauce.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until heated through.
Then turn the temperature up to broil and broil for about 5 minutes to get the little pieces of pork and cheese on the top all crispy and caramelized.
Remove from the oven and drizzle with another 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce before devouring!
BBQ Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups Pulled Pork
- 1 1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce divided
- 16 oz. Elbow Macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 4 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 pan and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add elbow macaroni. Cook following directions on box to al dente. Remove from heat and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk to combine.
- Turn heat to medium low and slowly whisk in milk. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in cheese and stir until melted and creamy. Remove from heat and stir macaroni into cheese sauce until well combined. Spoon into prepared 13x9 pan.
- In a medium bowl, combined shredded pork with one cup of barbecue sauce. Spread evenly over macaroni and cheese. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of remaining barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with remaining barbecue sauce and serve!
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!