This sweet chili chicken is bite-size pieces of fried chicken tosses in a sweet Asian sauce for a delicious meal. You’ll think you’re eating take-out with this recipe!
Like a lot of families, we are pretty obsessed with Chinese takeout in our house. It’s so satisfying and always delicious.
But most of your favorite Chinese takeout dishes can be made at home for less money and with you controlling the ingredients you include.
Speaking of which, this recipe does have quite a bit of ingredients, but don’t be too intimidated. Most of them are pantry staples.
And this is a special occasion dish. One that we make on birthdays or to celebrate good news! It’s a recipe that’s great for the weekend when you have a little extra time to devote to making it.
Ingredients for Sweet Chili Chicken:
- chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- egg whites
- soy sauce
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- baking powder
- rice wine vinegar
- sweet chili sauce
- sesame oil
- vegetable oil for frying
I know, I know… that seems like a whole lot!
But there are a couple steps to this recipe: marinating the chicken, coating the chicken, adding the sauce for the chicken.
So while it looks like a whole lot, there really are 3 steps with their own sets of ingredients.
Marinating the Chicken
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, soy sauce, garlic powder, chili powder and salt.
Once it’s really well combined, add the chicken pieces and toss them around so they’re really well coated.
Place the whole bowl in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Frying the Chicken
While your chicken is chilling in the fridge, you can work on the next step: the breading for your chicken.
In a small bowl, add the cornmeal, flour and baking powder and stir to mix.
Remove the chicken from the fridge and add a few pieces at a time to the flour mixture. Toss it to coat really well so all sides have the flour mixture sticking to it.
Then fry in hot oil in a wok until golden brown and cooked through.
Remove and repeat with remaining chicken.
Sweet Chili Sauce
The sauce is the absolute best part, so don’t skip it!
In a medium sauce pan add the ketchup, honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, sweet chili sauce, sesame oil and garlic.
Stir it all together and bring it to a boil. As soon as it starts boiling, turn it down to a simmer.
Toss the cooked chicken right in the pan with the sauce.
Garnish with chopped green onion and enjoy!
Sweet Chili Chicken
- 6 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 Tbsp. Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. Green Onions chopped
- In a large bowl, add egg whites, soy sauce, garlic powder, chili powder and salt. Whisk really well to combine.
- Add chicken pieces and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour and baking powder. Stir to mix.
- When chicken is done, remove from fridge and toss a couple pieces in the flour mixture. Toss to coat really well with flour mixture on all sides. Remove and repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat oil in a wok so that it will cover chicken completely. When hot, add a few chicken pieces at a time and cook until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove to a paper towel and repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately turn down and simmer.
- Add chicken pieces to pan with sauce and toss to coat.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve!
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!