Published: 05/04/2021 | Updated: 01/19/2024
This sweet chili chicken is bite-sized pieces of fried chicken tossed in a sweet Asian sauce for a delicious meal. You’ll think you’re eating take-out with this recipe!
When it comes to cooking chicken, many people think that it’s either a boring or difficult dish to make. But with a few simple ingredients and a little bit of creativity, chicken can be turned into a flavorful, exciting, and tasty meal. One of my favorite ways to prepare chicken is with a sweet chili sauce. The sauce is made with ketchup, honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, sweet chili sauce, and it gives the chicken a balance of flavors, a delicious sweet and spicy flavor.
Like a lot of families, we are pretty obsessed with Chinese takeout in our house. It’s so satisfying and always delicious.
But most of your favorite Chinese takeout dishes can be made at home for less money and with you controlling the ingredients you include.
Speaking of which, this recipe does have quite a bit of ingredient but don’t be too intimidated. Most of them are pantry staples.
And this is a special occasion dish. One that we make on birthdays or to celebrate the good news! It’s a recipe that’s great for the weekend when you have a little extra time to devote to making it.
Ingredients for Sweet Chili Chicken:
- chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- egg whites
- soy sauce
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- baking powder
- rice wine vinegar
- sweet chili sauce
- sesame oil
- vegetable oil for frying
I know, I know… that seems like a whole lot!
But there are a couple steps to this recipe: marinating the chicken, coating the chicken, adding the sauce for the chicken.
So while it looks like a whole lot, there really are 3 steps with their own sets of ingredients.
Marinating the Chicken
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, soy sauce, garlic powder, chili powder and a pinch of salt.
Once it’s really well combined, add the chicken pieces and toss them around so they’re really well coated.
Place the whole bowl in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Frying the Chicken
While your chicken is chilling in the fridge, you can work on the next step: the breading for your chicken.
In a small bowl, add the cornmeal, flour and baking powder and stir to mix.
Remove the chicken from the fridge and add a few pieces at a time to the flour mixture. Toss it to coat chicken really well so all sides have the flour mixture sticking to it.
Then fry in hot oil in a wok in medium-high heat until golden brown and cooked through.
Remove and repeat with remaining chicken.
Sweet Chili Sauce
The sauce is the absolute best part, so don’t skip it!
In a medium sauce pan add the ketchup, honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, sweet chili sauce, sesame oil and garlic.
Stir it all together and bring it to a boil. As soon as it starts boiling, turn it down to a simmer.
Toss the cooked chicken right in the pan with the sweet chili chicken sauce.
Garnish with chopped green onion and enjoy!
In conclusion, this sweet chili chicken recipe is a great way to enjoy a delicious and healthy meal. The recipe is easy to follow and doesn’t require many ingredients. So, if you’re looking for a tasty and crispy chicken dish to add to your menu, be sure to give this recipe a try.
Looking for more Dinner/Lunch recipes
Look no further than this list! These recipes are all simple, easy to make, and perfect for when you don’t have a lot of time to cook.
- Pesto Chicken Roll-ups
- Melt In Your Mouth Chicken
- Pesto Caprese Baked Chicken
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Grilled Ham and Pear Sandwich
- Shrimp Cakes with Lemon Tartar Sauce
- Irish Bangers and Onion Gravy
- Chicken Cobb Salad
Sweet Chili Chicken
- 1 lb. Chicken cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Egg Whites whisked
- 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Cornmeal
- 4 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 6 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 Tbsp. Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. Green Onions chopped
- In a large bowl, add egg whites, soy sauce, garlic powder, chili powder and salt. Whisk really well to combine.
- Add chicken pieces and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour and baking powder. Stir to mix.
- When chicken is done, remove from fridge and toss a couple pieces in the flour mixture. Toss to coat really well with flour mixture on all sides. Remove and repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat oil in a wok in medium-high heat so that it will cover chicken completely. When hot, add a few chicken pieces at a time and cook until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove to a paper towel and repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately turn down and simmer.
- Add chicken pieces to pan with sauce and toss to coat.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve!