Last updated on February 14th, 2023
Basil pesto topped chicken breasts get a caprese flair with fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato slices! An easy baked chicken recipe that is fancy enough for company!
Raise your hand if you’re always on the look out for delicious chicken dinner recipes!
I know I am, and this one fits the bill for a few reasons:
- No marinating time so you don’t need to plan ahead
- Uses jarred pesto so your prep time is almost nothing
- Only one-pan so clean-up is a breeze
- Cooks in the oven so there’s nothing on the stove you need to keep an eye on which means you can get other things done while it’s cooking
- Easy enough for weeknight dinner but fancy enough that you can serve to company too!
How to Make Pesto Caprese Baked Chicken
This is such an easy recipe that the most important thing to pay attention to is what pan you’re using!
I use a cookie sheet that has sides on it, but you could also use a 13×9 pan. Just make sure that whatever you use has sides because as the chicken bakes, the oil from the pesto runs out and you don’t want it running all over the bottom of your oven.
I also make sure to line my pan with non-stick foil. Even easier clean-up!
Then sprinkle your chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides and place on the pan.
Spread a generous amount of pesto all over the top of the chicken breast. This is where your flavor comes from so don’t be too stingy with it!
At this point, I bake the chicken as is. I prefer fresh tomatoes, more on the fresh side as opposed to the really well cooked side, so I don’t add them till later.
If you don’t mind a cooked tomato, you could add your cheese and tomato slices at this time.
But I pop it in a 400 degree preheated oven with just the chicken breasts covered in pesto. I bake for about 20 minutes or so but the time will really depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
While it’s cooking, I slice up some fresh mozzarella and tomato slices. I use about two of each per chicken breast.
After 20 minutes, remove your pan from the oven and place slices of mozzarella and tomato slices on top of each chicken breast.
Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165.
You could also sprinkle fresh chopped basil leaves over the top or drizzle with a balsamic reduction. But I enjoy it just as is for a healthy and quick complete meal!
Pesto Caprese Baked Chicken
- 4 Chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/2 cup Pesto
- 8 slices Mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices Tomato
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with sides with foil.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Spread pesto evenly over the top of chicken breasts.
- Bake for about 20 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Remove from oven and place mozzarella and tomato slices on top of chicken. Return to oven for another 5-10 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!