These Buffalo Shrimp lettuce wraps are packed with flavor and so filling! A great low carb dinner recipe if you’re following a keto lifestyle. Piled with avocado, cherry tomatoes and bleu cheese crumbles, even those who aren’t worried about their diets will enjoy this delicious (and easy!) dinner!
My family is a fan of anything buffalo flavored and I’m a huge fan of shrimp, so that in a nutshell is today’s recipe!
And fortunately, these could not be much easier to make so we get to have them often! Super easy to customize based on taste preferences and always inhaled by all 4 of us.
Sounds like a winning dinner to me!
How to Make Low Fat Lettuce Wraps
Wrapping your meat in a lettuce leaf seems to be one of the favorite tricks to converting your favorite recipes into a keto/low carb version. And while I kind of balk at some of the other tricks, this is one I can get behind and really enjoy!
For this recipe, I start with a bag of frozen, raw shrimp. I always, always, always get the kind that is already deveined. Taking that little “vein” out of the backs of shrimps is one of my least favorite dinner chores. I’d much rather get a back of frozen, deveined shrimp and just pretend it never existed.
Make sure your shrimp are thawed and peeled. I peel the tails off for this recipe too since you don’t want to have to deal with that once it’s covered in the messy buffalo sauce.
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once it’s hot, add your peeled shrimp and cook until they turn pink. It only takes a couple minutes on each side for the shrimp to cook through and turn pink, so be sure you don’t walk away.
Once they’re done, remove the shrimp from the pan. With the pan still turned on, add 3 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of either buffalo sauce or hot sauce. Let it all melt together while you stir it. Once it’s melted, add the shrimp back in and toss to coat.
Then it’s time to start assembling! I just lay out all of our toppings on a cutting board and everyone can assemble their own.
Our go-to’s are avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, green onions and blue cheese crumbles! So delicious and VERY little prep work!
Tips and Substitutions to Make Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- If you aren’t big on seafood (and I will never understand this…) you can easily swap it out for chicken. Either use shredded chicken and toss it in the butter/buffalo sauce mixture or use cubed chicken. For the cubed chicken, just cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into 1″ pieces and cook in the skillet until the center is no longer pink. Then follow the rest of the directions to toss them in the melted sauce.
- I can’t imagine eating buffalo anything without bleu cheese crumbles, but if that isn’t your jam then just replace it with shredded cheddar or mozzarella.
- You can also drizzle a blue cheese or ranch dressing over these after they’re assembled for an extra kick.
- I used romaine lettuce for my salad cups, but you can also use bibb lettuce.
- You can really vary the toppings as much as you want! Just make sure you recalculate all the nutritional information if that’s important to you! Suggested toppings: carrot slivers, banana peppers, red or green diced peppers, yellow or red diced onions, corn, chopped mushrooms, etc. Load them up!
- I love low carb dinners like this where I can eat mine in a lettuce wrap and my kids can have theirs in a crusty roll. We’re essentially eating the same dinner but customized for each of us. Although, I have to say that they normally choose to go for the lettuce wrap too!
Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb. Shrimp peeled, deveined and raw
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 cup Hot Sauce
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce
- 1/4 cup Blue Cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup Cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 Avocado diced
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the peeled shrimp and cook about 2 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove shrimp from skillet.
- Add butter and hot sauce to skillet and stir until melted. Return shrimp to pan and toss to coat well in the buffalo sauce.
- Assemble shrimp and toppings inside the lettuce shells.