Last updated on November 16th, 2023
Chick-fil-A is a trendy fast-food restaurant known for its excellent chicken sandwiches. However, the side orders were somewhat underrated. That was true up until 2019 when they introduced mac n cheese on their menu.
Since this new addition, the demand for this delicious mac n cheese has increased. Anyone who eats a well-baked, crispy mac n cheese for the first time can easily fall in love with the dish.
The creamy and cheesy mac n cheese is a savory combination of different types of cheeses, including cheddar, parmesan, and romano. The tender chicken immersed in a rich, creamy, milky sauce is a mouthwatering midnight craving. It can be anyone’s comfort food easily, whether you are a kid or an adult.
If you can’t get enough of the Chick-fil-A mac n cheese, we have the perfect solution for you.
Homemade Chick-fil-A Mac n Cheese
We came up with our homemade recipe that is just as delicious as the mac n cheese freshly baked from the restaurant. If you are a mac n cheese lover, there is no way you don’t want to make your version of it. All you will need to do is grab a couple of ingredients. A piece of cake, right?
If you want to know how this simple recipe is formulated, keep reading till the end. Here is a step-by-step guide with tips and tricks for a homemade version of your favorite mac n cheese.
1. Gather the Ingredients
The recipe begins by collecting the ingredients required to make the dish. The following list shows the stuff you need.
- Elbow macaroni (16 ounces)
- Whole milk (2 teaspoons)
- BellaVitano (if available)
- American Cheese (10 slices)
- Unsalted butter (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Sharp shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- White shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- Parmesan-Romano cheese (Half cup)
Note: For the topping, you will need at least half a cup of white shredded cheddar cheese.
2. Boil the Macaroni
Take 2 quarts of water and boil it. In boiling water, pour in your macaroni. Let it cook for 20 minutes, and strain the macaroni when it turns soft.
3. Prepare the Cheese Sauce
Prepare the cheese sauce meanwhile the macaroni cooks. Put milk, American cheese, butter, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan. Initially, keep the flame low but after two to three minutes, raise the temperature to melt the butter and cheese. Let it cook till the sauce thickens. Keep whisking and stirring at short intervals. While cooking the sauce, it is essential to monitor the consistency. The secret to a good quality mac n cheese is rich, creamy sauce. Ensure it is not too watery or thick.
4. Add the Macaroni
Add the rest of the cheese and let it melt in the sauce. Watch out for lumps. Once the sauce is perfectly smooth, put it aside to cool down for ten minutes and develop a thicker consistency. Take a large bowl and pour the sauce and pasta into it. Mix both and allow it to sit.
5. Set the Mac n Cheese for Baking
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Take an 8×8 inch baking pan and pour the mac n cheese mixture into it. Take shredded yellow and white cheddar and sprinkle at the top of your mac n cheese. Keep the pan inside the oven till the upper layer is crusty and light brownish. Your mac n cheese is ready to serve. Sprinkle some dried oregano and parsley on top for garnishing.
This recipe is enough for five to six people in a single sitting. It can be your way to go as a mini-party dish.
Storing Mac n Cheese
You can store your mac n cheese for up to a week. Keep it in an airtight container in your fridge. You can also freeze it for later use. Frozen mac n cheese can be stored for three months. To reheat frozen mac n cheese, cover it with foil and place it in a preheated oven for a few minutes till the upper layer gets melted.
Tips and Tricks
Although the recipe is pretty simple, keeping some tips in mind can take your mac n cheese to a new level. The trick is to monitor the quantity and consistency. Here are a few tips you should be aware of while making mac n cheese at home.
- Ensure the temperature is not too low or high. Go for room temperature for better results.
- Do not go for al dente pasta; if your macaroni is hard when added to the sauce, it will absorb moisture. So to retain the creaminess of the sauce, cook the pasta for 20 minutes till it feels soft enough.
- When you add butter, saute on low flame. This low flame would prevent burning and clumping.
- As a substitute for sharp cheddar, go for regular cheddar. However, your priority must be sharp cheddar.
- For the best results, after adding macaroni to the sauce, mix and broil it for two to three minutes.
- For a rich, creamy sauce, consistency is the key; ensure you add the appropriate amount of milk and cheese. If you see any lumps, add some milk to balance them. However, don’t add too much milk so your sauce doesn’t lose its thickness.
- Avoid pre-shredded cheese, so your sauce does not have a wavy texture because of anticaking agents.
- Adding flour after butter can create a stable sauce that will remain intact and give a more appealing look.
Chick-fil-A’s mac n cheese is a portion of perfect comfort food for most people. However, to save time and money, you can create your own delicious mac n cheese at home with our above recipe. Your mac n cheese will be ready to hit the table in 30 minutes and can feed enough people.
Homemade Chick-fil-A Mac n Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- BellaVitano (if available)
- 10 slices American Cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup white shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan-Romano cheese
- Additional white shredded cheddar cheese (1/2 cup for topping)
1. Boil the Macaroni:
- Boil 2 quarts of water and cook the macaroni for 20 minutes until soft. Strain and set aside.
2. Prepare the Cheese Sauce:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine milk, American cheese, butter, and salt.
- Cook over low heat, then raise the temperature to melt the butter and cheese.
- Whisk and stir until the sauce thickens. Ensure a rich, creamy consistency.
3. Add the Macaroni:
- Add the remaining cheeses to the sauce, ensuring a smooth texture.
- Let the sauce cool for 10 minutes, then mix with the cooked macaroni in a large bowl.
4. Set the Mac n Cheese for Baking:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the mac n cheese mixture into an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle shredded yellow and white cheddar on top.
- Bake until the upper layer is crusty and light brown.
- Garnish with dried oregano and parsley.
- Serve, and enjoy this delicious mac n cheese!
Storing Mac n Cheese:
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freeze for up to three months. Reheat covered with foil in a preheated oven.
- Maintain a moderate temperature for better results.
- Cook macaroni until soft to preserve the creaminess.
- Saute butter on low flame to prevent burning.
- Prioritize sharp cheddar for optimal flavor.
- Broil macaroni for 2-3 minutes for better results.
- Consistency is key for a rich, creamy sauce.
- Avoid pre-shredded cheese for a smoother sauce.
- Adding flour after butter creates a stable sauce.