Published: 08/11/2020 | Updated: 01/19/2024
These crispy pizza wontons are filled with all your favorite pizza ingredients for an easy appetizer or snack. Made in the air fryer, they have that incredible fried taste but are healthier for you!
My air fryer is quickly becoming one of my favorite kitchen appliances. In fact, I received a text recently from my sister asking if I ever use mine and would I recommend it.
The answer was a resounding YES!!
In fact, once I started answering her in more detail, I couldn’t believe how much I actually use it. I’m going to guess it’s probably around 7-10 times a week. Most of the time are to reheat food (best way to reheat fries ever!!), I also use it to make food from scratch.
My fried mushrooms are not only a hit with my family, they’re one of the most popular recipes on this site! Honestly, from buffalo chicken eggrolls to coconut shrimp to fried tilapia with a dijon sauce, my air fryer recipes seem to consistently be the most popular because it’s that amazing of a little gadget!
How to Make Pizza Wontons
Making wontons is much easier than you can imagine. It seems like a treat that most people reserve for restaurants or take-out, but it really is easy to make at home.
You can find wonton wrappers in the produce section of most grocery stores and they’re incredibly affordable too.
I made these pizza wontons using the same recipe that I use for a hot pizza dip. Little insider secret here: you can do this with just about any hot dip! I’ve even taken the recipe for my shrimp and bacon dip and popped it into wonton wrappers to air fry. It would be great with a spinach artichoke dip too!
To make the filling for pizza wontons, I use all of our favorite pizza ingredients: mozzarella, cheddar cheese, Italian seasoning, pizza sauce, pepperoni, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and black olives. Since you need a binder to make it all stick together, I use cream cheese and mayo for this recipe. It gives it that creamy filling consistency while holding all of the ingredients together.
This filling is so easily adaptable so feel free to omit any of the ingredients that aren’t your favorite or add in extras that I might not have listed. You can change up the cheese flavors if you want to.
But this is how easy this recipe is… just dump all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined.
Get your wonton wrappers ready with a very small bowl of water set to the side. Wonton wrappers can dry out quickly, so I usually just take about 5-10 at a time and keep the rest of the stack covered until I’m ready to use them.
Place one wonton wrapper on your work surface and add about 1-2 teaspoons of filling to the center of the wrapper. Dip one finger in the water and run that finger over the outside edges of the wonton wrapper. Fold one corner over the filling to the opposite corner to form a triangle. Pinch the edges to seal them well.
Continue preparing the rest of the pizza wontons.
Set your air fryer to 375 degrees and place wontons in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Lightly spray with a non-stick cooking spray. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
This air fryer pizza wonton is delicious on its own, but you can also serve them with your favorite dipping sauce or some extra pizza sauce to dip them in!
- 3/4 cups Mozzarella shredded
- 3/4 cups Cheddar shredded
- 2 oz. Cream Cheese softened
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsps. Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 cup Pepperoni chopped
- 1/4 cup Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup Mushrooms chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Black Olives sliced
- 60 Wonton wrappers
- In a large bowl, mix all the cheeses, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pizza sauce until smooth and well combined. Fold in the pepperoni and veggies until full incorporated.
- Place a wonton wrapper on cutting board and scoop 1-2 teaspoons of pizza filling in center. Dip fingertip in water and run along edges of wonton wrapper. Fold one corner of the wrapper over the filling to the opposite corner to form a triangle. Seal edges to make sure no filling comes out.
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees. Place filled wontons in a single layer in air fryer basket. Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook for 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway. When they are golden brown on both sides, remove and cook the next batch.
In conclusion, these air fryer wonton wrapper recipes are perfect for a quick and easy snack or meal. The wonton wrappers in air fryer recipes are also healthy and versatile, so you can customize them to your liking. Give them a try the next time you’re in the mood for something delicious and nutritious!