Last updated on August 25th, 2022
Every baker should have an easy American buttercream frosting recipe! Some swear by Swiss buttercream while others prefer Italian Meringue or French buttercreams. This classic vanilla best buttercream fondant recipe is my favorite for cake decorating.
None are wrong… or right… and choosing your frosting depends on a number of things:
- The climate you live in. Even living in PA, the humidity can have a HUGE effect on how a cake looks in the summer vs. the winter.
- Your budget and the amount of prep time you’re dealing with.
- Who you’re baking for. If it’s a personal cake, you might take the time to make the sugar syrup needed for an Italian Meringue. If you’re in a bakery that emphasizes mass production, you’re probably sticking with an American buttercream.
American buttercream fondant cake is the only one that doesn’t use egg whites or egg yolks. Instead, it uses a large amount of powdered sugar and butter. I’m a total sweet tooth, so this combo works for me! Others find it a bit too sweet, but I think that’s total hogwash.
I’m also a giant procrastinator combined multi-tasker, so anything that whips together quickly without me having to pay too much attention, is my preference. I’ve made all the other varieties, and they just require too much focus for my personality!
I use this Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe under pretty much all of my fondant cakes
I even spread it thinly on cookies that get a fondant topper.
Bonus points for this recipe because it stores well in the refrigerator. I just set it out for 30 minutes before I need it and then re-whip it with a spoon.
It’s easy to spread, pipe, and smooth out air bubbles. I whip it on low to medium-low for much longer than you think… maybe 10 minutes or so… to get it perfectly smooth. If you whip it on high to get it done faster, you’ll end up incorporating a lot of air and getting air bubbles all over your finished cake. Slow and steady wins the race.
Looking for more desserts recipes
Looking for some more dessert recipes? Here are a few options to get you started. These recipes will have you dreaming of summer days and warm nights.
- Chocolate Brownie Cake
- Slow Cooker German Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Dark Chocolate No Bake Cookies
- Butterscotch Pudding Cake in the Slow Cooker
- Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispy Treats
- Chocolate Cherry Cake
- Coconut Mousse Napoleons
- Toffee Dip
Also, if you are looking for easy American buttercream frosting recipes? Here are some recipes that will get you started. Whether you need a basic frosting or want to try a unique flavor, these recipes will have you covered.
Easy American Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 1 cup Shortening
- 2 lbs. Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tbsp. Milk or heavy cream
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and shortening until well combined and no lumps remain. I often will beat it for close to 10 minutes.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar. Start on the lowest speed and work your way up to medium speed.
- Gradually add the vanilla extract and milk. Do not go up to the highest speed or you will get air bubbles in your frosting. Mix until well blended.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Rewhip in stand mixer before using.
In conclusion, if you want a beautiful and tasty cake, put buttercream under fondant. It’s not as hard as it seems, and the results are worth it. So go out there and make the best cakes you can!
Be sure to PIN, SAVE and SHARE this post!