Last updated on March 31st, 2023
These Pork BBQ Sandwiches are packed with flavor and easy to make for a crowd. Topped with coleslaw, these are a classic tailgating favorite!
I’m not sure I could even count the number of times I’ve made this pork sandwich recipe! It’s been a favorite around here for probably close to 15 years and going strong.
It’s pretty much my go to if we’re having large parties and I need something I can make a huge batch of to serve a crowd. It’s great because it’s so easy to make ahead of time, freeze until the day you need to serve it and then just reheat for your guests.
We’ve eaten it as sandwiches served with homemade coleslaw, over cornbread, as a baked potato topping and more!
The tangy and sweet homemade barbecue sauce just can’t be beat!
How to Make Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Beef Broth
- Brown Sugar
- White Vinegar
- Spicy Brown Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Garlic Powder
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir well to combine.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
The sauce will reduce a bit and thicken up enough to coat your shredded pork.
This sauce makes enough for about 1-2 pounds of shredded pork just depending on how “wet” you like your meat. Which I totally realize is a gross way to describe it, but I think you know what I mean!
When we use this for sandwiches, we like a little less sauce so it isn’t just dripping down our hands.
When we serve scoops of the pork over cornbread, we like it to be more saucy so it soaks into the cornbread.
So the amount of sauce you use per pound of meat will really depend on your preference.
How to Make Shredded Pork
I always make my medium saucepan since it’s really hands-off and always results in super tender meat that shreds easily.
I make large batches of it and keep it in freezer bags or in an air-tight container so it’s ready to go whenever I need it. Highly recommend doing the same to make life easier for you!
If you do make your pork fresh for this recipe, you can use 1.5 cups of the broth from cooking your pork to replace the beef broth in the BBQ sauce recipe. Just make sure you skim the fat off the top.
But it’s a great way to repurpose that broth and save money by not having to buy beef broth from the store. Plus it just intensifies the flavor of your barbecue sauce.
Tips for Making the Perfect Pork BBQ Sandwich
There are a few essential tips to keep in mind to make the perfect pork BBQ sandwich.
First, start with quality ingredients when making your pork BBQ sandwich. Choose high-quality cuts of pork – boneless pork shoulder is always my preference for pulled pork sandwiches.
Second, don’t skimp on the BBQ sauce! I know it can be tempting to buy store-bought barbecue sauces, however, if you want your sandwich to be truly amazing make sure you use a homemade barbecue sauce. It will make all the difference in taste!
Finally, toast your buns! Asting your buns before you assemble your sandwich will help them hold up better and also give it a nice crunch.
These pork BBQ sandwiches are so easy to make and will definitely be a crowd favorite! Serve with coleslaw, pickles, and chips for the perfect tailgating meal. Enjoy!
What kind of bread do you use for pulled pork sandwiches?
– A soft and fluffy bun or roll is ideal for pulled pork sandwiches.
– Brioche buns provide a slightly sweet and buttery flavor that pairs well with the savory pork.
– Hawaiian rolls are another popular option for their slightly sweet taste and soft texture.
– Ciabatta rolls are a sturdy choice that can hold up to the juicy pulled pork and any additional toppings.
What condiment goes well on a pork sandwich?
– Barbecue sauce is a classic condiment for pork sandwiches.
– Mustard adds a tangy flavor that pairs well with pork.
– Chipotle mayo adds a smoky, spicy kick to a pork sandwich.
– Apple butter or chutney adds a sweet and fruity element to the sandwich.
What cut of pork makes the best barbecue sandwiches?
– Pulled pork made from the shoulder or butt is the most common and popular choice for barbecue sandwiches.
– Pork ribs, specifically spare ribs, can also make delicious barbecue sandwiches.
– Some people prefer using pork belly for a unique and flavorful twist on traditional barbecue sandwiches.
– Ultimately, the best cut of pork for barbecue sandwiches is a matter of personal preference and taste.
Pork BBQ Sandwich
- 1-2 lbs Shredded Pork
- 1.5 cups Beef Broth
- 3/4 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. White Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- In a medium saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Toss sauce with shredded pork and serve.
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!