These Cheeseburger Stuffed Tomatoes are a delicious low carb/keto dinner idea that helps use up tomatoes from your summer garden!
This recipe came about as I was searching for more low carb dinner recipes that the whole family would enjoy. We had recently had a keto cheeseburger casserole that was a huge hit, so I wanted to try to recreate those flavors in a different way.
No one in this house will ever say not a cheeseburger, so I mixed and matched our favorite flavors until I had a winning combo.
Then I needed something to eat it with or on or in… you know, since we can’t just grab a roll if we’re trying to watch our carbs.
While I’m a fan of stuffed peppers, especially Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers that are also low carb, a pepper doesn’t really remind me of cheeseburgers.
But a tomato does! I can never have a burger without a thick, juicy slice of tomato!
So I remembered my favorite smoked meat shack at the beach and how much I loved their chicken salad in a tomato shell. And I knew that was the “vessel” that my cheeseburger mixture belonged to!
Cheeseburger Stuffed Tomatoes
- The first step is to finely dice a medium onion and mince a clove of garlic.
- In a frying pan, saute the onion in a little bit of olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and stir together for a minute.
- Then add a pound of ground beef and stir together, cooking until no longer pink.
- Drain the fat and transfer ground beef to a mixing bowl.
- Add a tablespoon each of ketchup and mustard, some salt and pepper to taste, 3/4 cup of shredded cheese and about 2 tablespoons of diced pickles.
- Mix that all together really well and then set aside.
- Take 4 large tomatoes and cut the top off like a cap. Use a spoon to spoon out all the inside seeds and membranes until you have a hollow bowl.
- Spoon your cheeseburger mixture into your tomato shells.
- At this point, you could just start eating it if you wanted. But I like to heat the oven to 400 degrees and bake them for about 5 minutes. I don’t want the tomato to get mushy and cooked. But I like when the cheeseburger mixture gets all melty and gooey with the cheese.
More Low Carb/Keto Recipes We Love!
- Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Fried Fish with Dijon Sauce
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad (if you eliminate the cherry tomatoes and red onions)
Cheeseburger Stuffed Tomato
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 Tbsp. Pickles finely diced
- 4 large Tomatoes
- In a skillet over medium high heat, heat olive oil. Add diced onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and stir to combine. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain fat and transfer cooked meat mixture to a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stir in ketchup, mustard, cheese and pickles. Stir well to combine.
- Cut of the tops of each tomato and scoop out the insides so you're left with a hollow tomato. Scoop the cheeseburger mixture into each tomato shell.
- Cook for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!