Last updated on August 23rd, 2022
These stuffed mushroom appetizers are stuffed with pizza toppings and are easy to customize! So easy to make and a sure party appetizer favorite!
If you love mushrooms, you’ll love these easy and cheesy stuffed mushroom pizza bites! They’re perfect for a quick snack or appetizer, and they’re sure to be a hit with your family and friends. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have these delicious bites ready in no time. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
Mushroom caps stuffed with all your favorite pizza ingredients are pretty much a guaranteed success! The hot and gooey melted mozzarella cheese is packed with flavor and is easy to customize with your favourite pizza toppings.
The best part is how fast these come together! Only 6 simple ingredients and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Ingredients for Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mushrooms: I suggest you use either cremini mushrooms or Baby Bella mushrooms for this recipe. They cook well and are so easy to stuff!
- Cream Cheese: You really should use full-fat cream cheese as opposed to reduced-fat or fat-free. The full-fat cream cheese holds its shape better and doesn’t melt out of the mushroom. Also, be sure you do not use a tub of whipped cream cheese. That is a totally different texture and isn’t made for cooking.
- Shredded Cheese: This one is really up to you since some people are particular about the kind of cheese they prefer. I used Mozzarella for my recipe since it seemed the most traditional pizza cheese. You could also use grated Parmesan or cheddar if that’s what you have on hand.
- Seasonings: Make it easy on yourself, and just use an Italian Seasoning Blend! You can add a little extra garlic powder if you want or even a hint of red pepper flakes. I just stuck with the Italian Seasoning Blend for the easiest stuffed mushroom recipe ever!
- Pepperoni: I used regular pepperoni, but you could use turkey pepperoni if you prefer.
- Onion: I used a yellow cooking onion, but you could also use green onion if you prefer a milder onion flavor. Just be sure to dice them nice and fine. I actually think I left mine too large for the small size of the mushrooms.
- Optional Ingredients: You could also add chopped black olives, green pepper, artichoke hearts, fresh basil, or any of your other favorite pizza toppings!
How to Make Pizza Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
Then, wash mushrooms well using a damp cloth or damp paper towels. Pop the stems out and save them for later. (I actually chopped my mushroom stems up and put them in a baggie for an omelet the next morning.) In a small bowl , add the cream cheese, grated cheese, and Italian seasoning. Stir together well until it’s completely combined. Then, fold in the chopped onions.
Use a small spoon to fill each mushroom cap with the cream cheese mixture. Fill your skillet with the stuffed mushrooms and bake for about 15 minutes.
Then turn your oven to broil and broil for a couple of minutes until the tops are nice and browned but not burnt. Keep an eye on them since they can burn fast on the broil setting!
Carefully remove from skillet and serve while they’re still hot!
Can You Make Stuffed Mushrooms Ahead of Time
My favorite recipes are the ones that can be prepped ahead of time and stuffed mushrooms are no exception!
You can mix up your filling and stuff your mushrooms with it. Then store them in the fridge for a day or so until you’re ready to bake them.
You can also freeze your stuffed mushrooms, so you have something ready for unexpected guests! I prefer to freeze them uncooked, but they can also be frozen already cooked and then just reheated.
Looking for more Healthy Recipes
There are so many healthy recipes out there, that it can be hard to know where to start. This roundup of a lot of recipes is perfect for anyone looking to eat healthier without sacrificing flavor. Here are some easy and delicious recipes to get you started.
- Avocado Deviled Eggs
- Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
- Chorizo Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Roast Beetroot Salad
- Shrimp Avocado Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- Low Carb Fried Fish with Dijon Mustard Sauce
- Low Carb Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12-14 Mushrooms
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup Mozzarella Cheese grated
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/3 cup Pepperoni chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Onion finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a cast iron skillet or a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Wash mushrooms carefully with a damp cloth. Remove stems from mushrooms and save for a later use.
- In a small bowl, add cream cheese, grated cheese and Italian seasoning. Stir until well combined. Add in chopped pepperoni and chopped onion. Stir well to mix.
- Using a small spoon, fill each mushroom cap with the cream cheese mixture. Place in prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Switch oven to broil and broil for a couple minutes just until the tops start to brown.