Last updated on November 30th, 2023
These fondant S’mores cupcake toppers are pretty much the cutest thing that will hit your BBQ menu this summer! Easy tutorial with step by step instructions!
They look adorable on the cupcakes and you don’t need to make one for every cupcake either. If you’re making a standard batch of 24 cupcakes, I would probably only make about 6 of the s’mores fondant toppers.
The rest of the cupcakes you can either leave plain or decorate with some easy sprinkles to match your color scheme. Your display will still look just as cute and you’ll get the same amounts of oohhs and aahhs!
S’mores Fondant Cupcake Toppers
How to Make S’mores Fondant Cupcake Toppers:
1) Separate a small amount of white fondant that you will use for your graham cracker pieces. Add just a small drop of brown food coloring and work it into the fondant until you get a light brown color. Roll it out to about 1/2″ thickness and then cut with your square cookie. I used a 1.5″ square cutter, but use the size that best fits with the size of your cupcakes.
2) Using the small hole on the #1 tip, gently press dots into half of the squares.
These will be the top graham cracker pieces for your s’mores.
4) Using the white fondant, break off a piece for a marshmallow. Roll it into a ball, place it on the countertop and then gently press down until it resembles a soft marshmallow. You don’t want to flatten it completely, but leave it nice and fluffy.
5) You can use a small dab of water in between the layers to help them “glue” together. Be careful to only use a very small amount of water, though! Layer your s’mores starting with the graham cracker square without holes, add the chocolate square set at an angle, the marshmallow and finally the second graham cracker square with the holes on top.
6) Let it set out for a minimum of 30 minutes (longer if you can) to help it set before you place it on your cupcake!
I made these s’mores fondant browning cupcake toppers for a baby shower that was camping theme, but you could do them for any summer BBQ! They’re adorable as a set or as a stand-alone!
S’mores Fondant Cupcake Toppers
- White fondant
- Brown gel food coloring
- Square cookie cutter
- #1 Tip
1. Prepare Graham Cracker Pieces:
- Separate a small amount of white fondant for graham cracker pieces.
- Add a small drop of brown food coloring and knead until a light brown color is achieved.
- Roll out to 1/2" thickness and cut with a square cookie cutter (e.g., 1.5" square).
2. Create Dots on Graham Cracker Pieces:
- Using the small hole on the #1 tip, gently press dots into half of the squares.
- These will be the top graham cracker pieces for your s'mores.
3. Make Chocolate Squares:
- Take the remaining brown fondant and add a few drops of food coloring to achieve a darker brown color.
- Roll it out to 1/2" thickness and cut squares (half as many as graham cracker squares).
4. Shape Marshmallow:
- Break off a piece of white fondant for the marshmallow.
- Roll it into a ball, then gently press down on the countertop to achieve a soft, fluffy marshmallow shape.
5. Assemble the S'mores:
- Use a small dab of water between layers to help them stick together.
- Layer the s'mores starting with the graham cracker square without holes, add the chocolate square at an angle, place the marshmallow, and finish with the second graham cracker square with holes on top.
6. Set and Serve:
- Let the assembled toppers set for a minimum of 30 minutes (longer if possible) before placing them on your cupcakes.
- For a camping-themed baby shower or summer BBQ, these toppers add an adorable touch.
- Use these toppers for a fraction of your cupcakes, leaving others plain or decorated with matching sprinkles.
Be sure to pin them, so you’re ready to go the next time you’re asked to bring dessert to a picnic!