This homemade pizza dough is ready in 20 minutes and can be used for pizzas, bread sticks and more!
Pizza dough made from scratch is easier than you think with rapid rise yeast. You can mix it up and let it quick rise and be ready to roll it out in about 25 minutes.
It’s fast, easy and can be used for so many different recipes.
Plus, it just tastes amazing! Unlike store bought pizza dough shells, when you make your own, you can control how thick or thin you roll it.
I love it really thick and doughy with lots of crust for me to save for last. A total carbs girl over here! My husband prefers a very thin crust pizza.
By making my own yeast pizza dough, I can make sure we’re both happy!
How to Make Pizza Dough from Scratch
In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast packet and salt. Stir to combine.
Then stir in very warm water and vegetable oil.
Keep stirring, adding about another 1/2 cup of flour until it makes a soft dough.
Lightly flour your work surface and turn the dough out onto it. I like to lightly flour my hands as well so the dough doesn’t stick to it.
Keep kneading the dough, turning it over and continuing to knead for about 4-6 minutes until it’s really smooth and elastic. You can keep adding small amounts of flour if you need to get it to this point.
Form it into a ball and then cover it with a dishtowel and place it in a warm place to let it rise.
I usually place it on a back burner and let it rise for about 10-15 minutes before I use it.
If you’re using it for pizza, sprinkle your pan with cornmeal first and then roll out into a circle for the size of pizza you want.
Tips to Making Pizza Dough:
- You can make this a whole wheat pizza dough by replacing half of the all-purpose flour with wheat flour.
- You can use this for other recipes, not just pizza! Use this dough for breadsticks, stromboli, calzones and more!
- If you do not have a pizza pan, you can spread this out on a cookie sheet or even in a 13×9 pan.
- You can use the bread hook on your stand mixer to knead it so you don’t need to knead it by hand.
- You can freeze this dough too, so that you can use it for later. Just let it come to a complete rise and then freeze it for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before using it.
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2.5 cups Flour divided
- 1 packet RapidRise Yeast
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Very Warm Water
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- In a large bowl, add 2 cups of flour, yeast and salt. Stir together.
- Add the very warm water and vegetable oil and stir to combine.
- Continue stirring, adding the extra 1/2 cup of flour as needed until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly flour your work surface and hands, then turn dough onto work surface. Knead for about 4-6 minutes, adding small amounts of flour if needed, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Form into a ball, cover with a dish towel and place in a warm place to rise for 10-15 minutes before using.
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!