Last updated on September 22nd, 2022
Whether you’re searching for a simple appetizer idea for a party or just need a family-friendly snack, cheese balls are a great choice! These simple mini cheese balls are the perfect snack idea for any get-together.
How can it not be? When you put together ingredients like beef and green onion, you have a delicious flavor combination that everyone in the family will love.
Beef and onion cheeseballs are simple and delicious appetizers that can be made in advance to serve when guests arrive. They can be found at most grocery stores, but it is easy to make them from scratch! The preparation of the beef cheese balls is very easy, requiring only a few ingredients and about 30 minutes of time.
Beef and Onion Cheese Balls Recipe
- 16 oz. cream cheese (2 of the 8 oz. packages)
- 2 bundles of green onions, sliced finely
- 2 packages of Buddig beef (Note: If you can’t find Buddig beef, you can substitue sliced beef luncheon meat, preferably)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large bag of bacon bits
- Crackers of your choice (for serving)
- Start by finally chopping up your green onions and slicing the beef.
- Place you cream cheese, onion, beef or sliced beef luncheon meat, and shredded cheese into a large mixing bowl.
3. Knead and mix with your hands until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
4. Roll roughly two tablespoons of mixture into a ball.
5. Dump out bacon bits on to counter or cutting board.
6. Roll mini cheese ball in bacon bits and pack firmly.
7. Place mini cheese ball on top of crackers or serve them on a plate with favorite crackers on the side for guests to assemble themselves.
Mini Cheese Ball Tips and Tricks
These simple cheese balls couldn’t be easier to make! Try these tips and tricks to ensure your appetizers come out perfectly.
Chill the cream cheese mixture for easier rolling. If you find it hard to form the cream cheese mixture into a ball because the cheese has become too soft and sticky, try placing the bowl in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes. This will allow the cream cheese to slightly harden, making it easier to roll between your hands after you scooped the cream cheese mixture out of the bowl.
Keep beef cheese ball chilled until ready to serve. Since these beef and onion cheeseball appetizers are made with cheese and meat, it’s a good idea to keep them chilled until you’re ready to serve them. Simply cover your cheese balls and chill them to keep from falling apart after sitting at room temperature for too long. Remember that these beef cheese ball recipe calls for this important step.
Make ahead to save time. You can also make this beef cheese ball days ahead of time and serve them whenever you’re ready. The beef mixture can be made one day in advance as long as these balls are stored and covered in the refrigerator. It’s also a good idea to wait before placing these beef cheeseball on a buttery cracker to keep them from becoming soggy.
Skip the crackers for a low carb or gluten free option. If you’re looking for a low carb or gluten-free alternative to this recipe, there’s only one change you need to make. Simply don’t place the cheese balls on top of the crackers! Instead, you can stick a toothpick on top of each mini cheese ball for easy eating.
Looking for more quick No-Bake recipes
No-Bake recipes are always a hit with kids and adults alike. Here are some of our favorites that are sure to please everyone in the family.
- Marshmallow Fondant
- Shrimp Cocktail Dip
- Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball
- Lemon and Chocolate Mini Tarts
- Chipped Beef Dip
- Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispy Treats
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bites
Beef and Onion Cheese Balls
- 16 oz Cream Cheese 2 of the 8 oz. packages
- 2 bundles Green Onions slices finely
- 2 packs Buddig Beef If you can't find Buddig beef, you can substitue sliced beef luncheon meat, preferably
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 large bag Bacon Bits
- Start by finally chopping up your green unions and slicing the beef
- Place you cream cheese, onion, beef, and shredded cheese into a large mixing bowl
- Knead and mix with your hands until all ingredients are thoroughly combined
- Roll roughly two tablespoons of mixture into a ball
- Dump out bacon bits on to counter or cutting board
- Roll mini cheese ball in bacon bits and pack firmly
- Place mini cheese ball on top of crackers or serve them on a plate with favorite crackers on the side for guests to assemble themselves