Last updated on November 8th, 2023
Buffalo chicken rangoon is a popular appetizer that can be found at most Chinese restaurants. They are made by deep-frying chicken cutlets in a dough that is then rolled up and sliced into rings. The chicken is then dipped in a sauce made of buffalo chicken sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic.
You may have noticed that I love the flavors of buffalo chicken. I find a way to put a twist on it in as many ways as I can like these Buffalo Chicken Rangoons appetizers.
I’ve made Crab Rangoon for years which is where I got the inspiration for these. I thought the wonton wrappers would make a cute way to serve the flavors of the buffalo chicken. I was right.
Buffalo Chicken Rangoon Recipe:
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce (original or extra spicy)
- wonton wrappers
- blue cheese
Cook the chicken breast. You can either bake it in the oven or poach it. When the chicken breast is cooked, shred it. In a bowl, mix the shredded chicken and Frank’s Red Hot sauce.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a mini muffin tin with olive oil. Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin tin. Fill each wonton wrapper with a heaping teaspoon of the buffalo chicken mixture. Top each one with some blue cheese.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the edges of the wonton wrappers are golden brown. Serve warm.
Let’s talk blue cheese. The reason I didn’t put an amount on the blue cheese is that some people are blue cheese lovers and some really aren’t.
If you’re not a fan of blue cheese, I encourage you to at least try putting a little bit on each appetizer or at least putting it on a few of them so that you can give it a try. The blue cheese cuts the spice of the hot sauce and pairs so nicely with this recipe.
Make ahead tip:
Cook 5 or 6 chicken breasts, shred them and mix them with Frank’s Red Hot sauce (you’ll have to adjust the quantity of the hot sauce depending on how many chicken breasts you cook).
Put the extra that you don’t use for this recipe into medium resealable bags. Then you can pull them out the next time you want to make buffalo chicken nachos, buffalo chicken quesadillas or more buffalo chicken rangoon.
In conclusion, buffalo chicken rangoon is a delicious appetizer that is perfect for parties or game days. This delicious food is easy to make and can be customized to fit your taste. So, next time you are looking for something new to try, give buffalo chicken rangoon a shot!
Buffalo Chicken Rangoon
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce (original or extra spicy)
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Blue cheese, to taste
- Cook the chicken breast by baking it in the oven or poaching it until fully cooked. Once cooked, shred the chicken and place it in a bowl.
- In the same bowl, mix the shredded chicken with Frank's Red Hot sauce until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a mini muffin tin with olive oil.
- Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin tin cup. Press the wrapper gently into the cup to create a small well.
- Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the buffalo chicken mixture into each wonton wrapper.
- Top each filled wonton with crumbled blue cheese according to your taste preference.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the edges of the wonton wrappers are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving. Serve warm and enjoy!
- If you're not a fan of blue cheese, try a small amount on a few pieces to see if it suits your taste. It balances the spice of the hot sauce nicely.
- To prepare in advance, cook and shred extra chicken breasts, mix with Frank's Red Hot sauce, and store in resealable bags for future use in other recipes like buffalo chicken nachos or quesadillas.
Check out these other awesome buffalo chicken appetizers: