This easy recipe for an Instant Pot Chuck Roast only takes about 10 minutes prep time and results in tender, juicy beef. Add veggies and gravy to make this an easy instant pot pot roast for a complete meal!
We live in Pennsylvania Amish Country, and while I’ve gotten my husband to enjoy some more “exotic” tastes over the years, he still loves his hearty meals. A good farm boy meal like this Instant Pot Chuck Roast is sure to get a smile from him after working out in the cold all winter.
I added potatoes and carrots to make this a complete pot roast dinner. You really can use a few different types of beef cuts for a pot roast, but the chuck roast is our favorite.
Chuck Roast: this is the type of meat you want to purchase if you want to shred your meat with two forks and have it look like mine does in the picture.
Top Round Roast: purchase this type of meat if you want to slice it thinly.
Beef Brisket: fattier than the round roast so it gets really juicy and moist, but still best sliced rather than shredded.
How to Make a Chuck Roast in the Instant Pot
I start by setting my pressure cooker to the saute setting and adding about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Lay your chuck roast out and season both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Then place your chuck roast in the hot oil and sear both sides. I leave it on each side for about 3-4 minutes or until you get a nice sear to it.
Then remove the roast to a plate. Add 1/2 cup of red cooking wine to your Instant Pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pot. You REALLY want to make sure you get the bottom of the insert completely clean, otherwise you will trip your burn error and dinner will be delayed by quite a bit!
Once the bottom is clean, add your chuck roast back in. Next add about 2-3 lbs of baby red potatoes, 1 bag of baby carrots and 2 medium onions that are cut in quarters.
Set your timer for 1 hour and 10 minutes. It took mine about 15 minutes to come to pressure so make sure you factor that time into your planning too. Nothing annoys me more than Instant Pot recipes that say they take 10 minutes total but don’t account for the time it takes to come to pressure. That time counts!!
Once your time is up, do a quick release pressure. Remove all the potatoes, carrots and beef to a cutting board and shred the beef with two forks.
Add 2.5 tablespoons of cornstarch to 1/4 cup of cold water. Set the Instant Pot to saute with all of the liquid still in the pot. Add the cornstarch water and bring to a boil. Stir for a few minutes until the gravy thickens.
Pour over all your beef and veggies and enjoy!
Instant Pot Chuck Roast
- 3 lbs Chuck Roast
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Bay Leaves
- 1 lb Baby Carrots
- 2 lbs Red Potatoes small
- 2 Onions medium, cut in quarters
- 1/4 cup Cold Water
- 2.5 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- Set pressure cooker to the saute setting and add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.Lay chuck roast out and season both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder.Place chuck roast in the hot oil and sear both sides. Sear each side for about 3-4 minutes.Then remove the roast to a plate.
- Add 1/2 cup of red cooking wine to Instant Pot and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Make sure to get the bottom of the insert completely scraped clean.
- Add your chuck roast back in. Next add red potatoes, carrots and 2 medium onions that are cut in quarters.
- In a medium bowl, mix beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, dried Thyme and dried bay leaves. Pour it over everything in the Instant Pot.
- Set your timer for 1 hour and 10 minutes.Once your time is up, do a quick release pressure. Remove all the potatoes, carrots and beef to a cutting board and shred the beef with two forks.
- Add cornstarch to cold water. Set the Instant Pot to saute with all of the liquid still in the pot. Add the cornstarch water and bring to a boil. Stir for a few minutes until the gravy thickens.Pour over all your beef and veggies and enjoy!