Last updated on August 25th, 2022
Italian Rum Cake with a moist yellow cake, topped with chopped walnuts and a rum glaze that will have you licking your plate. An easy recipe that starts with a box mix!
Easy italian Rum Cake is a dense and moist cake that is infused with the flavor of rum. It is commonly served as a dessert, but can also be used as a base for various cocktails. The cake is made from flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, and Italian rum mixture. This Italian dessert recipe has been passed down through many generations and is often made in Italian-American households.
This is the best italian rum cake recipe, sometimes called a golden rum cake, starts with a cake mix! It’s a relatively easy cake that is perfect for fall get-togethers and parties.
A chopped walnut topping adds a little crunch to the top of the cake, while the rum glaze gives it so much flavor.
How to Make Italian Rum Cake
Italian Rum Cakes are more well known as 3 or 4 layer yellow sponge cakes with frosting. The cake layers are soaked in a rum syrup and then have a fluffy frosting and more chopped nuts.
I prefer to make a bundt cake with syrup because it’s so much easier! This might not be as traditional as the other style, but it still tastes amazing and can be eaten faster.
Ingredients for Rum Cake:
Then, evenly scatter your chopped walnuts at the bottom of the pan.
The cake batter is my favorite kind of instruction- just dump it all in!
In one bowl, add your cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, vegetable oil, water, and half of your rum. Stir it up really well and then pour your batter over the walnuts in the pan.
Then bake at 325 degrees for about an hour baking time or until it tests done with a toothpick.
Let sit for about 10 minutes before you invert it onto a serving platter.
In the meantime, you can work on the glaze, which is one of the most important parts.
Now, this is the point I should probably add that I don’t make my glaze exactly the same as others I’ve seen.
Most people make a glaze that needs to be brushed onto the cake and then absorbs into the cake and keeps it very wet and moist. For the most part, these cakes need to also sit for 10 hours or so before eating so it has a chance to absorb in.
That is NOT how I make mine, mostly because I don’t like a cake that is too wet. I make my glaze with more of a caramel consistency that pours over the cake and sits on top of the cake rather than being absorbed the whole way in.
To make the glaze, heat butter, granulated sugar, and water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and then stir constantly for 5 minutes. You cannot walk away from this while it’s boiling or it will burn! You have to be sure to stir constantly for the entire 5 minutes.
- If you want your glaze to be brushed on and soaked into the cake, remove from heat after 5 minutes, and then stir in the rum. Poke holes all over the top of your cake using a skewer and then brush glaze over the entire thing.
- If you want your glaze to be a caramel-like topping the way I make mine, while your glaze is boiling stir the rum in for the last 1-2 minutes. It will really bubble, just keep stirring. You will see it start to thicken after you add the alcohol. Once you remove it from heat, pour it over your cake.
Since the syrupy glaze isn’t being absorbed into the cake, you don’t need to wait as long to eat it this way.
The walnut topping is harder to see when you make it this way, but you won’t miss them when you’re eating. They all have a nice crunch that pairs perfectly with the slight spiciness of the rum.
This Italian Rum Cake is a delicious cake that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. A perfect holiday treat that might just become a new tradition!
Looking for more desserts recipes
Looking for some more dessert recipes? Check out these delicious recipes that will leave you wanting more! These desserts are sure to please.
- Holiday Turtle Fudge
- How to Zest and Juice a Lemon
- Fried Bananas
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Delight
- Easy Low Carb Cookies
- Easy S’mores Recipes
- Soft Sugar Cookies
- Cranberry Cheese Bars
Italian Rum Cake
- 1 cup Walnuts chopped
- 18.25 oz Box Cake mix
- 3.4 oz. Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Rum
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Rum
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Generously grease a large bundt pan.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly in bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, water and rum. Mix well to combine and then pour batter over nuts in pan.
- Bake for one hour or until it tests done with a toothpick.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto a serving platter.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter sugar and water. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add rum and continue boiling for 1-2 minutes, being sure you are stirring constantly.
- Pour glaze evenly over cake.
In conclusion, traditional italian rum cake is a delicious and easy-to-make cake that is perfect for any occasion. With its moist and flavor, this cake is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. So, what are you waiting for? Get baking Italian rum cake recipes!
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!