Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is the ultimate comfort food in dessert form! A moist banana sheet cake topped with a sweet icing that makes enough to feed a crowd!
I haven’t really made it a secret that we adore bananas around here! Eating them plain, in our favorite banana bread recipe, banana oatmeal cookies or in cake form, we will gladly take any version of bananas that we can get!
Every time I go to the grocery store, I get a bundle or two of bananas always with the thought in the back of my mind that there will be enough to bake with. Sometimes I even go crazy for a second and think we might get to the point that I could freeze some if they got too ripe before we could eat them.
That pretty much never happens, though! Bananas just disappear around here, and I’m pretty sure all of us are to blame for that.
But if you can manage to sneak a couple bananas away and make this cake, you won’t regret it!
It’s so moist and tender and just packed with banana flavor. Honestly, it’s good enough to just eat on its own, but adding some homemade cream cheese frosting turns it into a true company-worthy dessert!
Tips to Making Banana Sheet Cake
- You can add chopped walnuts to your cake batter or even sprinkle some on top of the frosting before it sets.
- I love to eat this cake cold! You can absolutely store it covered at room temperature, but it is SO good if you keep it in the refrigerator and eat it cold!
- When you’re making the cream cheese frosting, be sure you’re cream cheese and butter are softened enough. You should be able to press your thumb into the butter and easily make an indent. If they aren’t softened, your frosting will be lumpy and no one wants a lumpy frosting!
- If your frosting is too thick, just thin it out with a little splash of milk until you get it to the spreading consistency you like.
- The recipe for the frosting is easy to cut in half if you just want a thin layer of frosting instead of the thick layer like my pictures show.
- If you don’t want the extra calories from the frosting, you can also dust powdered sugar over the cooled cake.
More Fruit Recipes You Might Like:
- Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
- Pear Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Raspberry Peach Crumb Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Upside Down Lemon Bread
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract and beat well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt until combined. On low, stir into butter mixture just until combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Add mashed bananas and stir on low until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy and no clumps remain.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and combine well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk and mix. You can add additional milk if you need to thin it out.
- Spread frosting on cooled banana cake.
Be sure to PIN THIS POST to save for later!